Who Will Be the Breakout Stars of 2010?
By Brooke Tarnoff Posted Dec 31st 2009 09:00AM
If it seems like the in-crowd of Hollywood never changes, remember this: once upon a time, Angelina Jolie was playing second fiddle to the better-known Winona Ryder in 'Girl, Interrupted' and only a few years ago, Amy Adams was an unknown with a three-episode arc on 'The Office.' Sometimes it's easy to predict the big stars of the new year - it seems obvious that Anna Kendrick's popularity is poised to explode, with a handful of award nominations for her 'Up in the Air' performance and two big movies in 2010. Who else is likely to climb the ladder this year? PopEater picks the most likely candidates for sudden stardom in 2010 after the jump.
She's been in: 'Jennifer's Body,' 'Big Love,' 'Veronica Mars'
Why 2010 is her year: She played the young lead in 'Mamma Mia!' but most of Seyfried's roles have been sidekicks to bigger stars. This year, Seyfried is starring is three big movies - 'Dear John' with dreamy hunk Channing Tatum, 'Letters to Juliet' with Vanessa Redgrave, and erotic thriller 'Chloe' with Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore.
Album: Straight No Chaser
Why 2010 is his year: Ben Hudson is a British R&B/pop artist currently signed to Kanye West's record label. The famously egomaniacal West told MTV recently: "I believe Mr. Hudson has the potential to be bigger than me, to be one of the most important artists of his generation." Who are we to ignore that kind of endorsement?
He's been in: 'The Day the Earth Stood Still,' 'The Pursuit of Happyness,' Jada Pinkett Smith's womb
Why 2010 is his year: If his impressive pedigree weren't enough, Will Smith's son Jaden will star in the much-discussed 'Karate Kid' remake this year, co-starring Jackie Chan as his wise, kung fu mentor.
She's been in: 'Twilight,' 'New Moon'
Why 2010 is her year: 'Twilight' leads Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson owned 2009, but the supporting cast of the franchise is starting to garner attention. Anna Kendrick's comic turn in 'New Moon' set her up for an important 2010, and Ashley Greene is poised for a big year herself. She'll reprise her role as Alice Cullen in 'Eclipse,' and we'll see her in a handful of new films, including 'The Apparition' and 'Skateland.'
She's been in: 'Hidden Palms,' 'Pineapple Express'
Why 2010 is her year: She played Seth Rogen's girlfriend in 'Pineapple Express' and the hot neighbor who tries to bite Jesse Eisenberg in 'Zombieland' - nothing that would make Amber Heard a household name. That's all set to change in 2010, when Heard will play Johnny Depp's love interest in 'The Rum Diary,' a film adaptation of the Hunter S. Thompson novel. She'll also appear in 'And Soon the Darkness' with Karl Urban.
He's been in: 'Fringe,' 'Boston Legal'
Why 2010 is his year: Valley's time on 'Fringe' was limited, though the FOX mystery science drama has proven an effective vehicle for his wife Anna Torv. Valley's own time to shine comes in 2010 with a starring role in a heavily-hyped new drama, 'Human Target,' co-starring Chi McBride and Jackie Earle Haley.
He's been in: 'Jack & Bobby,' '3:10 to Yuma'
Why 2010 is his year: This young actor was cast in the title role of upcoming fantasy book adaptation 'Percy Jackson & the Olympians,' directed by Chris Columbus - the same guy who helmed the first two 'Harry Potter' movies. If 'Percy Jackson' does as well as some predict, we could be looking at the next Daniel Radcliffe in Lerman.
Anna Kendrick Pics
Golden Globe nominee (for 'Up in the Air') Anna Kendrick makes a stop at the 'Today' show on Dec. 3. More Pics of the Rising Star >>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- ?Daily Show' co-creator Lizz Winstead sparks outrage with Oklahoma tornado joke about conservatives
- Country star Toby Keith says tornado-ravaged Okla. hometown is 'resilient,' planning benefit
- Then and Now: 'The Brady Bunch'
- John Malone's Liberty Global Eyes Sale of TV Channels Arm (Report)
- Cannes: Indian Director Anurag Kashyap on His Five Films on the Croisette (Q&A)
- Cannes: U.K.'s Rainmark Films Partners With Germany's Beta for Nordic Crime Thriller
- ?Glee' star Jenna Ushkowitz takes EW's Pop Culture Personality Test ? VIDEO
- Meet Mimi Haist, the woman Zach Galifianakis saved from homelessness ? VIDEO
- ?Annie' Broadway cast album with Jane Lynch bonus tracks ? EXCLUSIVE FIRST LISTEN
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- 'The Lone Ranger' Trailer: The Rise of an American Legend
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': How J.J. Abrams Kept the Identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's Villain a Secret
- Zach Galifianakis's 'Hangover III' Date: A Formerly Homeless Pal