The Secret Business of Celebrity Tweets
By Steven Avalos Posted Jan 5th 2010 03:03PM
Audrina Patridge can reportedly earn up to $10,000 per tweet for companies including Sony and Nestle. Say it ain't so. OK! Magazine reports on the dark underbelly of the Twitterverse, and you may never look at social media the same again!If all your friends told you that Avatar was the most amazing movie experience of their entire lives, wouldn't you be likely to believe them? I mean, these are your friends after all. And at $1 billion (and counting), the film's worldwide box office can't be wrong. Word of mouth is arguably the greatest form of advertising, and businesses are keen on using the age old medium to their advantage via Twitter and celeb spokesperson-ship. Immoral? Maybe. Business saavy? Duh!
OK! Magazine reports: "Celebrities including Nicole Richie, Kim Kardashian, Whitney Port and Audrina Patridge can reportedly earn up to $10,000 per Tweet for companies including Sony and Nestle."
The biggest earners are Britney Spears and P. Diddy who could earn up to $20,000 per tweet. $20K. Per tweet. Let's do some math using that hypothetical sum and factor in Twitter's 140 character limit (carry the one)... that's about $140 per letter, punctuation mark or even space. Sure, these celebs probably won't be quitting their day jobs over it, but it'll definitely pays some bills. Or maybe a set of shiny new cuff links in Diddy's case.
However, E! Online says that a new regulation requiring celebs to disclose whether a blog post or social media post was driven by any kind of cash incentive could hamper the practice.
Kim Kardashian made headlines this week when she vehemently denied getting paid on her blog after endorsing a Carl's Jr salad. "Am I not allowed to talk about something I like without people assuming I must have been paid to do it?" the New York Post quoted her as saying. "I want my fans to know what products, gadgets, foods, clothes and beauty products I like and I love sharing all that with my fans," she added.
See what happens when celebrities take over the role of paparazzi and share intimate photos with their fans. Best Celebrity Twitter Pics >>
Kim Kardashian, TwitPic
Kim Kardashian, TwitPic
- Filed under:
- Gut Reactions -
- Movie News -
- Music News -
- TV News -
- Celebrity Twitter -
- WTF -
- Kim Kardashian -
- Britney Spears
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Scarlett Johansson says it was hard being married to another actor
- Bruce Jenner reveals that he is a Republican
- Ellen, Lady Gaga and Kim Kardashian tweet their support of Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner Tells Diane Sawyer: 'I Am a Woman'
- Help Fight Malaria, One Bracelet at a Time
- Priscilla Presley Talks the King of Rock, and Las Vegas Elvis Exhibition
- Legally Blonde is Coming to Netflix! Plus More May Releases
- Bruce Jenner's Diane Sawyer Interview: Laverne Cox and More Celebs Embrace His Bravery -- Read Their Reactions Here
- Bruce Jenner E! Documentary Confirmed Following His Emotional Confession ? Get All the Details on the Eight-Part One-Hour Docuseries