Eli Roth Steps in It -- It Being a Mess of Sea Urchins
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 6th 2010 12:14PM
'Inglourious Basterds' head-basher Eli Roth had a terrifying encounter with an army of sea urchins while on vacation in Mexico over the holidays.
The actor-director revealed to TMZ how while kayaking alone off the coast of Careyes ten days ago, he got pulled under unexpectedly by a sinkhole. Stranded in the water, he pulled himself up onto a nearby rock that he soon discovered was covered with spindly creatures. He tried to avoid the urchins but a wave emerged and knocked him off balance -- forcing the star to step directly on a bed of poison.
He was stung 200 times.
With both of his feet and palms littered with urchin pins and pain shooting throughout his body, Roth screamed for help and was aided by a nearby fisherman, who took him ashore.
Roth, 37, tells TMZ the swelling was so bad the doctor couldn't even use anesthesia as he pulled each spine from his feet with tweezers. "Be brave," the doctor told him.
The 'Hostel' director says he's still feeling the pain, but will hobble his way to the People's Choice Awards Wednesday night.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Queen Elizabeth II photobombs young tourists' selfie
- Weird Al Yankovic has his first No. 1 album ever
- Alec Baldwin appears in NYC court after Shia LaBeouf leaves
- 108 Media Takes Worldwide Sales Rights to Bruneian Action Pic 'Yasmine'
- Haunted House in Beijing Attracts Visitors Following Release of 'The House That Never Dies'
- South Korean Filmmakers Laud Venice Fest Presence, Discuss Lack of Competition Spot
- ?Veronica Mars' takes Fandom of the Year at mtvU's awards show
- Video: ?Harry Potter' meets ?Boyhood' in ?Potterhood' mock trailer
- The 10 Most Important 'Interstellar' Mysteries Revealed at Comic-Con 2014
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer: Back To the Hilariously Outrageous Future (VIDEO)
- There's Still Hope For an 'X-Files' Reboot