Eli Roth Steps in It -- It Being a Mess of Sea Urchins
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 6th 2010 12:14PM
'Inglourious Basterds' head-basher Eli Roth had a terrifying encounter with an army of sea urchins while on vacation in Mexico over the holidays.
The actor-director revealed to TMZ how while kayaking alone off the coast of Careyes ten days ago, he got pulled under unexpectedly by a sinkhole. Stranded in the water, he pulled himself up onto a nearby rock that he soon discovered was covered with spindly creatures. He tried to avoid the urchins but a wave emerged and knocked him off balance -- forcing the star to step directly on a bed of poison.
He was stung 200 times.
With both of his feet and palms littered with urchin pins and pain shooting throughout his body, Roth screamed for help and was aided by a nearby fisherman, who took him ashore.
Roth, 37, tells TMZ the swelling was so bad the doctor couldn't even use anesthesia as he pulled each spine from his feet with tweezers. "Be brave," the doctor told him.
The 'Hostel' director says he's still feeling the pain, but will hobble his way to the People's Choice Awards Wednesday night.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Comedian Tracy Morgan still struggling after crash
- Joan Rivers' condition 'remains serious,' daughter says
- Political correctness in Hollywood running amok?
- Brett Ratner Sued Over 'Hercules' Party Injury
- Syfy Cancels Wil Wheaton Talk Show
- Marvel Editor in Chief on 'Spider-Woman' Cover: "I Apologize for the Mixed Messaging"
- The Cast of 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Does the Baby Groot Dance (VIDEO)
- What Makes a Great TV Series Finale?
- Labor Day Binge Guide: Catch Up on These Returning Shows Right Now