How Old Is Richard Simmons?... (and other Important Questions Answered)
By Sam Brand Posted Jan 6th 2010 08:31PM
He's young enough to run around like a lunatic fit freak on live TV. And old enough to be releasing his 59th workout video. Richard Simmons (Queen Latifah, too) appeared on 'Ellen' on Wednesday to twist, shout, sweat, sell videos to the world, and prove that the fitness icon is very much alive and flamboyantly kicking. But who does this guy think he is, where on earth did he come from, and, really... how old is he?
61 years old. A simple Google query will tell you that. But it sure seems like he's been around a lot longer. Maybe that's because his workout videos surfaced in the early '80s, about the same time as Jane Fonda's vids, though Fonda is a decade older.
Or maybe it's because Simmons is so prolific. The New York Times says his latest videos "Sweating to the Oldies 5" and "Toning to the Oldies" are his 58th and 59th videos. He's released over a dozen books - his autobiography Still Hungry After All These Years: My Story is required reading for any true Simmons fan. He's got dozens of inspirational audio recordings, available in every obsolete format except 4-track. And after all these years, he's still pumping out material at a strenuous pace.
Or maybe Simmons seems old because, well, he's the only 61-year-old bounding across daytime TV in outdated short shorts and a sequined tank top.
If anyone has proved age ain't nothin' but a number, it's Simmons. Of all the workout gurus who found fame during the '80s fitness craze, Richard Simmons is the only one still leading aerobic classes for ordinary Joe's and Jane's. You can find him in front of the class at his Hollywood gym Slimmons several times a week.
The only Jane sweating for Fonda nowadays is the one in the mirror.
Since graduating high school tipping the scales at 268 pounds, Simmons has been a man on the move. He relocated from his native New Orleans to New York City and then to Los Angeles in the 1970s, where he slimmed down to as few as 145 pounds.
123 pounds isn't much by today's 'The Biggest Loser' standards, but Simmons was intent on avoiding fad diets, living a well-rounded life, and keeping the weight off.
His simple regimen (lots of activity and eating well) has worked for himself and millions of his followers. They keep following him. And he's kept you guessing.
Just don't ask if Richard Simmons is gay. 'The Drew Carey Show's' Kathy Kinney "outted" Simmons on 'The Rosie O'Donnell Show' several years ago. Rosie famously cut straight to commercial.
Richard Simmons' age might be out in the open, but his sexual orientation is still very much a secret. Well, sorta.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Calls Khloe a "Miserable Person"; Fifty Shades of Grey Trailer Debuts: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Nick Lachey Posts Shirtless Photo Working on a Roof: Sexy Picture
- Blake Lively's Preserve Website Video: Watch the Weird, Slightly Sinister Introductory Clip
- 24 Weeks And Growing! Tila Tequila Shows Off Her Baby Body! Posts Bra-Undies Picture On Facebook But Says She's ?Raising Her Alone'
- Baby Love! Mila Kunis And Ashton Kutcher's Nursery D
- Weird Al Yankovic has his first No. 1 album ever
- Queen Elizabeth II photobombs young tourists' selfie
- Alec Baldwin appears in NYC court after Shia LaBeouf leaves
- Kerry Washington Is Back to Work on Scandal Post-Baby—See the Pic!
- Big Brother Recap: Ariana Grande's Brother Frankie Learns Of His Grandfather's Death & Another Houseguest Goes Home
- Frank Caliendo Reads LeBron James' "Coming Home" Letter in Morgan Freeman's Voice: Watch and You're Welcome