How Old Is Richard Simmons?... (and other Important Questions Answered)
By Sam Brand Posted Jan 6th 2010 08:31PM
He's young enough to run around like a lunatic fit freak on live TV. And old enough to be releasing his 59th workout video. Richard Simmons (Queen Latifah, too) appeared on 'Ellen' on Wednesday to twist, shout, sweat, sell videos to the world, and prove that the fitness icon is very much alive and flamboyantly kicking. But who does this guy think he is, where on earth did he come from, and, really... how old is he?
61 years old. A simple Google query will tell you that. But it sure seems like he's been around a lot longer. Maybe that's because his workout videos surfaced in the early '80s, about the same time as Jane Fonda's vids, though Fonda is a decade older.
Or maybe it's because Simmons is so prolific. The New York Times says his latest videos "Sweating to the Oldies 5" and "Toning to the Oldies" are his 58th and 59th videos. He's released over a dozen books - his autobiography Still Hungry After All These Years: My Story is required reading for any true Simmons fan. He's got dozens of inspirational audio recordings, available in every obsolete format except 4-track. And after all these years, he's still pumping out material at a strenuous pace.
Or maybe Simmons seems old because, well, he's the only 61-year-old bounding across daytime TV in outdated short shorts and a sequined tank top.
If anyone has proved age ain't nothin' but a number, it's Simmons. Of all the workout gurus who found fame during the '80s fitness craze, Richard Simmons is the only one still leading aerobic classes for ordinary Joe's and Jane's. You can find him in front of the class at his Hollywood gym Slimmons several times a week.
The only Jane sweating for Fonda nowadays is the one in the mirror.
Since graduating high school tipping the scales at 268 pounds, Simmons has been a man on the move. He relocated from his native New Orleans to New York City and then to Los Angeles in the 1970s, where he slimmed down to as few as 145 pounds.
123 pounds isn't much by today's 'The Biggest Loser' standards, but Simmons was intent on avoiding fad diets, living a well-rounded life, and keeping the weight off.
His simple regimen (lots of activity and eating well) has worked for himself and millions of his followers. They keep following him. And he's kept you guessing.
Just don't ask if Richard Simmons is gay. 'The Drew Carey Show's' Kathy Kinney "outted" Simmons on 'The Rosie O'Donnell Show' several years ago. Rosie famously cut straight to commercial.
Richard Simmons' age might be out in the open, but his sexual orientation is still very much a secret. Well, sorta.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Blake Lively Poses With Her "Fit Dude" Trainer: "Cellulite Is So Much Cuter on Babies"
- Vanderpump Rules' Kristen Doute Dating Brian Carter After James Kennedy Split: Pictures!
- Janet Jackson's New Album Unbreakable Gets Release Date, Will Include "Reflections" About Brother Michael
- Cindy Crawford doesn't understand why unflattering photo makes other feel good
- Courtney Stodden's mom Krista regrets letting daughter marry older husband
- Justin Bieber explains why he cried after his VMAs performance
- Chad Kroeger Spotted Without His Ring, Packing Up Car After Announcing Split From Avril Lavigne—See the Pics and Watch Video!
- Kim Kardashian Busts Out More Cleavage Photos After Reaching 45 Million Instagram Followers—See the Pics!
- Ciara & Russell Wilson's No-Sex Policy: "There Are So Many People Like Us"