Mariah Carey's 'Drunk' Acceptance Speech
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 6th 2010 11:59AM
Mariah Carey's performance in 'Precious' is good enough to win her awards, but it's her acceptance speech at the Palm Springs Film Festival last night that has people buzzing. The singer-actress accepted her award for Breakthrough Actress her role in the critically-loved film ... and that's when things got interesting. Watch Mariah's bizarre acceptance speech after the jump!
Carey made her way to the podium with 'Precious' director Lee Daniels, who picked her up off of her feet with a hug just before Carey took the microphone. "Oh my goodness!" she yelled once she made her way front-and-center. After a brief exchange, a seemingly dreary and slow-speaking Carey hugged Daniels, saying "I love you."
She continued, beginning her speech with: "I have to say.... this is .... and please forgive me because I'm a little bit..." At that point, several people in the crowd yell out "drunk," to which Carey replies "yes," which is greeted with laughs and applause all around. Modesty = honesty, so good for Mariah.
"Oh my goodness," Carey says, before launching into the rest of her acceptance speech. "Sometimes I get a little ... you know ... difficult," Carey says shortly after.
Carey wraps things up by saying: "I'm very grateful. I thank you all for listening to my little spiel, and God bless you. OK, take care." She then proceeded to forget her award on the podium, until Daniels tells her to pick it up.
It's the free booze that makes these smaller awards shows so much fun to watch, so we're applauding Mariah for this one.
Mariah Carey Snapshots
Mariah Carey is seen here working the red carpet at the 21st Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival on Jan. 5. Check Out More Mariah Pics >>>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Hello Kitty not a cat, expert says
- 'Cops' crew member killed by police officers
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Marvel will reissue all those Dark Horse ?Star Wars' comics that didn't really happen
- Hello Kitty isn't a cat, but is anything really anything anymore, man?
- H. Jon Benjamin makes a crazy Kenny Loggins Kickstarter even crazier
- Extra Scoop: Meet Prince Harry's New GF, Camilla Thurlow!
- Aaron Paul's Wife Lauren Talks Kind Campaign
- Help Send 'Serrano' the Musical to Broadway!
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Will Shoot "Crazy Sex Scenes" Together in Upcoming Film; 50 Cent Surprises Chelsea Handler During Finale: Top 5 Stories
- Chris O'Dowd Reveals His Wife Dawn is Pregnant, Nominates His Unborn Child in Ice Bucket Challenge Video
- Scott Disick Was Shocked, Speechless After Kourtney Kardashian Revealed She Was Pregnant With Third Child -- Watch the Clip!