Mariah Carey's 'Drunk' Acceptance Speech
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 6th 2010 11:59AM
Mariah Carey's performance in 'Precious' is good enough to win her awards, but it's her acceptance speech at the Palm Springs Film Festival last night that has people buzzing. The singer-actress accepted her award for Breakthrough Actress her role in the critically-loved film ... and that's when things got interesting. Watch Mariah's bizarre acceptance speech after the jump!
Carey made her way to the podium with 'Precious' director Lee Daniels, who picked her up off of her feet with a hug just before Carey took the microphone. "Oh my goodness!" she yelled once she made her way front-and-center. After a brief exchange, a seemingly dreary and slow-speaking Carey hugged Daniels, saying "I love you."
She continued, beginning her speech with: "I have to say.... this is .... and please forgive me because I'm a little bit..." At that point, several people in the crowd yell out "drunk," to which Carey replies "yes," which is greeted with laughs and applause all around. Modesty = honesty, so good for Mariah.
"Oh my goodness," Carey says, before launching into the rest of her acceptance speech. "Sometimes I get a little ... you know ... difficult," Carey says shortly after.
Carey wraps things up by saying: "I'm very grateful. I thank you all for listening to my little spiel, and God bless you. OK, take care." She then proceeded to forget her award on the podium, until Daniels tells her to pick it up.
It's the free booze that makes these smaller awards shows so much fun to watch, so we're applauding Mariah for this one.
Mariah Carey Snapshots
Mariah Carey is seen here working the red carpet at the 21st Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival on Jan. 5. Check Out More Mariah Pics >>>
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kanye West tweets apology to Beck for Grammys stagecrashing incident
- Woman asks about dress color, Internet loses collective mind
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Extra Scoop: Who Would Steal Lupita Nyong'o's Oscars Dress?
- Robin Williams' Daughter's First Interview Since Her Father's Death
- Courteney Cox and Johnny McDaid Put Breakup Rumors to Rest
- Tumblr Dress Debate: Is This Dress White and Gold or Blue and Black? Every Celeb ? and Person ? On the Internet Is Freaking Out
- Kim Kardashian, Rita Ora Attend Same Party in Nearly Identical Pink Latex Dresses -- See the Pics!
- Amanda Peet Has Gotten "Hate Mail" Over Her Pro-Vaccination Beliefs