Jay Leno Going Back to 11:30?
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 7th 2010 04:50PM
Jay Leno will be back in his 11:30 p.m. 'Tonight Show' time slot very soon after his rocky venture into 10 p.m. territory, TMZ is reporting. Well that was quick ... and would make a lot of sense given our exclusive report from Rob Shuter a few weeks ago claiming NBC was looking to bounce Conan for Jerry Seinfeld. The switch hasn't been verified or denied by NBC at this time.
PopEater's Rob Shuter reported on December 17 that NBC was courting Jerry Seinfeld to replace O'Brien in the hopes of boosting the slot's sagging ratings. Unfortunately, NBC was unable to ink the deal according to Shuter.
At the time, NBC spokesperson Drew Shane called the claims "Completely false," adding that "Conan is the host of the 'Tonight Show.'" Oh really?
According to The New York Times, " the plan being discussed Mr. Leno would definitely shift back to 11:35 but in a half-hour format, while Mr. O'Brien would slide back his start time by a half hour and then produce an hour-long show."
In a statement obtained by EW.com, NBC is shooting down the shift rumors, saying (without denying any upcoming changes): "Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today. As we have said all along, Jay's show has performed exactly as we anticipated on the network. It has, however, presented some issues for our affiliates. Both Jay and the show are committed to working closely with them to find ways to improve performance."
Leno himself also weighed in on the rumors, saying during his Thursday show: "I don't think there is any truth to the rumors ... See, it's always been my experience that NBC only cancels you when you're in first place. So we are fine. We are OK." He even joked "What does NBC stand for? Never Believe your Contract."
If the switch does indeed happen, TMZ reports it will likely take place in February after the Olympics.
NBC also said that they are "committed to keeping Conan O'Brien on NBC ... as he has been for more than 16 years and is one of the most respected entertainers on television."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Britt McHenry's Parking Attendant Rant Video Was Edited: Details
- Scott Disick's Drinking Raises Eyebrows Before Kris Jenner's Birthday Party: Watch KUWTK Clip!
- LuAnn de Lesseps Is So Cool, Dishes About RHONY Drama Queens Bethenny Frankel and Ramona Singer: Watch!
- Mark Hamill was 'suspicious' of 'Star Wars' director J.J. Abrams: 'He was a 'Star Trek' guy'
- Miley Cyrus and Scout Willis flash their nipples in photo shoot
- R&B singer Johnny Kemp found dead on beach
- Miley Cyrus Can't Stop Changing Her Look at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony, Admits She ''Wanted to Have Sex" With Joan Jett
- Reggie Bush and Lilit Avagyan Are Expecting a Baby Boy! Get the Latest on the "Overjoyed and Happy" Couple
- Who Does the Outlander Cast "Ship"? Sam Heughan, Caitriona Balfe and More Reveal the Couples They Love