Miley Cyrus Is Not Your Mother
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 7th 2010 07:51AM
Miley Cyrus has been dogged by controversy for years, whether over a saucy Teen Choice Awards pole dance or an Annie Leibovitz photo shoot showing the young star clad in just a sheet. While Cyrus once told fans she was deeply embarrassed by the photos, a new interview in Harper's Bazaar shows that the 17-year-old singer/actress has stopped apologizing. The 'Hannah Montana' star tells an overcritical audience: "Your kids are going to make mistakes whether I do or not."
Cyrus suggests, "People like controversy because that's what sells. My job is to be a role model, and that's what I want to do, but my job isn't to be a parent. My job isn't to tell your kids how to act or how not to act, because I'm still figuring that out for myself. So to take that away from me is a bit selfish."
In 2008, after experiencing the backlash that followed Cyrus' undressed Vanity Fair cover, she issued a statement reading, "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed. I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about."
In regard to that Leibovitz shoot, Cyrus now tells the magazine, "Here, my parents are thinking they're seeing a beautiful photograph by a major photographer, and the people of America want to see something dirty in that? It doesn't make sense to us because [my family] doesn't look for negativity ... No one wants to look at something like that and see the positive because it doesn't sell a magazine."
Cyrus spent the summer in Georgia, filming the Nicholas Sparks adaptation 'The Last Song,' and she says she relished the time spent away from the prying eyes of paparazzi. "It's so much easier to know who you are when there aren't a thousand people telling you who they think you are," she says. "I felt like I was really figuring myself out. Usually I have someone whispering in my ear, but I was on my own."
As for media attention on a 'Just Breathe' tattoo Cyrus recently adopted, the singer says the ink is a tribute to her two grandfathers who died of lung cancer and a close friend who passed away in 2007. "It reminds me not to take things for granted. I mean, breathing-that was something none of them could do, the most basic thing," she explains. "And I put it near my heart, because that is where they will always be."
She says, "I could never get a meaningless tattoo, but I think that if you're doing something that's important, that's significant in your life, it takes some of the pain away."
Miley Cyrus Pics
Hot couple Miley Cyrus and boyfriend Liam in Hollywood January 06, 2010. X17online.com exclusive
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies after parachute accident
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Lisa Robertson reveals more family sex abuse
- FOX411's pic of the day
- ?Nashville' joins proud tradition of unorthodox clip shows: 5 more that stand out
- ?John From Cincinnati' is not on HBO Go or Amazon Prime, and it should be
- tUnE-yArDs channels ?Pee-Wee's Playhouse' for ?Water Fountain' music video
- The Terrifying Thing Gwyneth Paltrow's Alleged Stalker Keeps Doing
- Cuba Gooding Jr.'s Wife Files for Separation
- Wedding News! Jodie Foster Marries GF Alexandra Hedison
- The Other Woman Cast Is a Modern-Day 90s Girl Group: Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, Kate Upton Coordinate Outfits
- Tori Spelling: I Thought Dean McDermott and I "Had a Very, Very Good Sex Life"
- Diane Keaton Still Friends With Woody Allen After Sex Abuse Scandal: "Nothing's Going to Change That"