'Idol' Is Downsizing Simon Cowell
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 7th 2010 02:00AM
'Idol' Is Downsizing Simon
Sources tell me that producers of 'American Idol' have a plan on how to make sure the show survives if Mr. Simon Cowell does in fact leave at the end of this upcoming season.
"Expect to see less and less of Simon this season. The focus is going to be back on the contestants and less on Simon's harsh criticisms of them," an insider tells me. "They also will be spending more time focusing on Ellen once she gets through her first few weeks live from Hollywood."
That might not be such a bad idea. Watching millionaires make fun of kids' appearances and laughing when they leave the room feels is so last century to me. After all, many shows have not only survived hosts leaving -- they have thrived. (Katie Couric, anyone?)
FOX, never one to beat around the bush, tells me: "FOX has no comment."
The brilliant Adam Hanft, CEO of marketing firm Hanft Projects, agrees. "Ideas outlast their hosts. It was and is true for the 'Tonight Show' and 'The Today Show' and it's proved true for '60 Minutes.'
So while we're being all warm and fuzzy, can I suggest Donny Osmond?
George Stephanopoulos Gets His Throne
You read it here first that the fabulous George Stephanopoulos was joining the gang at 'Good Morning America' family, and now I can report that the adorable height-challenged Greek is making the set his own.
"The biggest challenge for the crew when George arrived was finding the perfect height for his chair. Co-host Robin Roberts is so much taller than him that she towered over him even sitting down," a friend tells me. But fear not! George will be sitting high thanks to a chair ordered from the Staples catalog.
George, the lovable and gracious chap that he is, actually responded directly to me, joking: "I would have been happy with phone books, but I'm glad they found a solution."
Great things come in small packages. Kisses, George!
5 Columns, 4 Million Views -- THANK YOU! We are Number 1
Thanks to you, 'Naughty But Nice' is now the number 1 entertainment column online, my boss Jason in the tie tells me. We've logged 4 million pageviews in one week of columns. That, my friends, is absurd! Let's all pop some bubbly together!
Who would have thought that little old me would number 1 at anything? Certainly not my mother, or my piano teacher, Mr. Biggins. How do you like them chopsticks!
Big shout out 'The Diane Sawyer of Entertainment TV' Lara Spencer and DJ Petroro at 'The Insider' for always having me on. If you're not watching, you must -- you're going to love all that news with those opposing views!
Got a tip for Rob? Email him at NaughtyNiceRob@aol.com
Follow Rob on FaceBook: www.hs.facebook.com/rshuter
Who's Rob Shuter? Read His Bio
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman arrive at the 21st Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards on January 5th in Palm Springs, California.
Jon Kopaloff, FilmMagic
Jon Kopaloff, FilmMagic
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Taylor Lautner Gets Naked, Has Beard in Cuckoo Trailer: Watch the Preview, See the GIF!
- Peaches Geldof Died of Heroin Overdose: Coroner Rules Socialite's Cause of Death
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Husband Marco Perego
- What's In Store? Check Your Weekly Horoscope To Find Out What's To Come This Week! You Better Act Accordingly!
- ?The Only Thing That Is Artificial Or Fake About Me Is This!' Aviva Drescher Tosses Prosthetic Leg At Heather Thomson On ?RHONY' Season Finale
- Who Wears Short Shorts? Check Out These Pairs Of Super Tiny Leg Wear ? See The Pictures!
- Lana Del Rey: I slept with 'a lot' of guys in the idustry but couldn't get a record deal
- Heavy metal recording contract for 3 New York City middle school boys gets judge's approval
- Sharks circling David Gregory at 'Meet the Press'?
- Downton Abbey Season 5: Romances, Visitors, The New (Old) Mary and More Scoop
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: Lisa Vanderpump Weighs In On ''Opinionated'' Lisa Rinna, Her ''Awful'' Last Season and More
- Snoop Dogg Claims He Smoked Pot at the White House—Watch Now!