'Idol' Is Downsizing Simon Cowell
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 7th 2010 02:00AM
'Idol' Is Downsizing Simon
Sources tell me that producers of 'American Idol' have a plan on how to make sure the show survives if Mr. Simon Cowell does in fact leave at the end of this upcoming season.
"Expect to see less and less of Simon this season. The focus is going to be back on the contestants and less on Simon's harsh criticisms of them," an insider tells me. "They also will be spending more time focusing on Ellen once she gets through her first few weeks live from Hollywood."
That might not be such a bad idea. Watching millionaires make fun of kids' appearances and laughing when they leave the room feels is so last century to me. After all, many shows have not only survived hosts leaving -- they have thrived. (Katie Couric, anyone?)
FOX, never one to beat around the bush, tells me: "FOX has no comment."
The brilliant Adam Hanft, CEO of marketing firm Hanft Projects, agrees. "Ideas outlast their hosts. It was and is true for the 'Tonight Show' and 'The Today Show' and it's proved true for '60 Minutes.'
So while we're being all warm and fuzzy, can I suggest Donny Osmond?
George Stephanopoulos Gets His Throne
You read it here first that the fabulous George Stephanopoulos was joining the gang at 'Good Morning America' family, and now I can report that the adorable height-challenged Greek is making the set his own.
"The biggest challenge for the crew when George arrived was finding the perfect height for his chair. Co-host Robin Roberts is so much taller than him that she towered over him even sitting down," a friend tells me. But fear not! George will be sitting high thanks to a chair ordered from the Staples catalog.
George, the lovable and gracious chap that he is, actually responded directly to me, joking: "I would have been happy with phone books, but I'm glad they found a solution."
Great things come in small packages. Kisses, George!
5 Columns, 4 Million Views -- THANK YOU! We are Number 1
Thanks to you, 'Naughty But Nice' is now the number 1 entertainment column online, my boss Jason in the tie tells me. We've logged 4 million pageviews in one week of columns. That, my friends, is absurd! Let's all pop some bubbly together!
Who would have thought that little old me would number 1 at anything? Certainly not my mother, or my piano teacher, Mr. Biggins. How do you like them chopsticks!
Big shout out 'The Diane Sawyer of Entertainment TV' Lara Spencer and DJ Petroro at 'The Insider' for always having me on. If you're not watching, you must -- you're going to love all that news with those opposing views!
Got a tip for Rob? Email him at NaughtyNiceRob@aol.com
Follow Rob on FaceBook: www.hs.facebook.com/rshuter
Who's Rob Shuter? Read His Bio
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman arrive at the 21st Annual Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards on January 5th in Palm Springs, California.
Jon Kopaloff, FilmMagic
Jon Kopaloff, FilmMagic
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Josh Duggar Makes Joke About Siblings Dating: Video Resurfaces Amid Child Molestation Accusations
- Keeping Up With the Kardashians Recap: Kim Kardashian Comes Clean About Bruce Jenner's Transition: "It's All True"
- Katy Perry Hasn't Talked to Russell Brand Since He Texted Her to File for Divorce Over Two Years Ago
- Actress Anne Meara, mom of Ben Stiller, dies at 85
- 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or, top honor of Cannes Film Festival
- Actress Kelly Rutherford's children must be returned to US, judge says
- Kim Kardashian Plans Kids Trip to Snowy Montana Amid Family Changes, Kylie Jenner Hesitates Going—Get the KUWTK Recap
- Game of Thrones Recap: "The Gift" Finally Gives Fans the Greatest Present Ever
- Morgan Stewart Models in NYC, EJ Johnson Plans Trip to Bahamas, Dorothy Wang's Party Goes Sour—Get the #RichKids Recap!