Jay Leno Rips NBC in Monologue
By Mike Hess Posted Jan 8th 2010 07:49AM
The verbal assault comes after rumors flew claiming Leno would be returning to 11:30 in late February. There was no word where that would leave Conan O'Brien, who took over Leno's 'Tonight Show' chair last year.
During his monologue, Leno put in several shots at NBC. When addressing the cancellation rumor, he quipped that he has nothing to worry about because "NBC only cancels you when you're in first place, so we're fine."
Since taking the 10 p.m. slot, Leno's ratings have been in steady decline and are a far drop from his 'Tonight' pull. Making matters even worse for NBC, local affiliates across the country complained because his 10 p.m. lead-in into their 11 p.m. newscasts was hurting their ratings.
Perhaps the harshest shot that Leno took at NBC was veiled in a news story that he turned to his advantage.
"The Justice Department announced they'll conduct an anti-trust review of Comcast's proposal deal ... you know the merge with NBC. Anti-trust, which is the relationship I have with NBC," he said.
Closing out the monologue, Leno got in one last pot shot, asking band leader Kevin Eubanks: " Hey Kev, what does NBC stand for? Never Believe your Contract!"
PopEater's Rob Shuter reported on December 17 that NBC was courting Jerry Seinfeld to replace O'Brien in the hopes of boosting that slot's sagging ratings. Unfortunately, NBC was unable to ink the deal according to Shuter, which then prompted the possible Leno switch.
In a statement obtained by EW.com, NBC is shooting down the shift rumors, saying (without denying any upcoming changes): "Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today. As we have said all along, Jay's show has performed exactly as we anticipated on the network. It has, however, presented some issues for our affiliates. Both Jay and the show are committed to working closely with them to find ways to improve performance."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Meghan Trainor Is All About Kim Kardashian's Bass on Nude Paper Cover
- Ariana Grande's Brother, Frankie J., Hits AMAs Red Carpet Without a Real Shirt: See His Painted-On Outfit!
- New York Times Issues a Correction After Misquoting Kanye West in Satirical Column
- Scott Parties While Pregnant Kourtney Posts About ‘Choices’ On Instagram
- Miley Looks Like A Muppet At Her Raunchy Birthday Celebration
- 'Hunger Games' scores year's biggest opening with $123M
- Bill Cosby controversy: A decade in the making
- Robin Williams' son remembers his dad and Christopher Reeve's friendship
- Meghan Trainor Says Kim Kardashian ''Has an Amazing Butt!'' Plus, ''All About That Bass'' Singer Talks Looking for a Boyfriend
- Fergie Reveals Baby Axl's Latest Milestone After Arriving in Giant Party Bus to American Music Awards
- 2014 American Music Awards Red Carpet—See All the Stars as They Arrive!