Top 5 Elvis Presley YouTube Videos
By Sam Brand Posted Jan 8th 2010 01:17PM
Elvis Presley turns 75 today. He's out there somewhere with thick sunglasses, sequins, and a salt-and-pepper pompadour, maybe sitting at a rusty one-armed bandit outside Reno, probably laughing at all those who think he's dead. We at PopEater know you're alive, Elvis. At the very least, we know you'll live on for eternity on YouTube. Here are our favorites of the Elvis Presley YouTube videos...
"Heartbreak Hotel" - 1956
Presley's first number one hit, "Heartbreak Hotel" was the future of music. To say it lit girls' hearts on fire would be an understatement. Picture Luke Perry, Andrew Shue, Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Arsenio Hall forming a boy band at the peak of their fame in the early '90s. Elvis was bigger than that. And he was very clearly better. Tell us he wouldn't win 'American Idol' today and sell more records than Daughtry, Carrie Underwood and Susan Boyle combined.
"Jailhouse Rock" - 1957
Look at those moves! At first that leg shake shimmy seems a bit silly. But Elvis keeps it up, nails the beat with every drunken bone in his body, and a minute in we're convinced The King could keep up with today's more acrobatic pop stars. Not that we'd want to see Old Elvis on a trampoline (see: Chris Brown) or trapeze (see: Pink). On second thought...
"All Shook Up" - '68 Comeback Special - 1968
Honorably discharged from the army in 1960, Elvis took to Hollywood, making 27 movies during the decade. By 1968, The King wasn't taken too seriously as a musician, as more daring acts like The Beatles, The Doors and Jimi Hendrix emerged from the haze of post-'50s disenchantment to steal music lovers' hearts. Elvis' 1968 Christmas telecast, then called simply 'Elvis,' now known as the '68 Comeback Special, was supposed to change all of that. If it didn't put Presley back on the cutting-edge, it did remind America that he's probably the best performer we'd ever have.
"Fever" - Live in Hawaii - 1973
If the lei isn't enough cheese for you, check out that awkward editing and Mondrian-esque split-screen. But this song is sexy. You can hear the Honolulu honies going gaga for the 42-year-old sex symbol. Never mind that this song doesn't officially belong to Elvis (Little Willie John's original spent three weeks at No. 1 in 1956). Unofficially, it definitely belongs to Elvis, the biggest Willie in the building.
"My Way" - 1977
Recorded during Elvis' final tour, just two months before his untimely death, Elvis' rendition of the Frank Sinatra classic is a fitting swan song for the rock 'n' roll pioneer. Look at those grade-A prime mutton chops. That over-sized gold-platted collar. That voice. It couldn't be anyone except Elvis. He definitely did it his way.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Isla Fisher Pregnant, Expecting Third Child With Sacha Baron Cohen: See Her Baby Bump
- Ariana Grande Talks the Mariah Carey Comparisons: "It's Honestly a Great Honor"
- Ben Affleck Calls Jon Stewart a Copycat, Freaks Over Gone Girl Spoilers in Hilarious Interview: Watch
- Headed Back To The States, Kim Kardashian Dotes On Daughter North, The Morning After Swanky Parisian Fashion Party
- Secrets Safe! Judge Seals Documents In Vicki Gunvalson & Brooks Ayers Vodka Lawsuit
- Making age-appropriate music with former rock star John Mellencamp
- Charlie Sheen's odd facial injury shuts down 'Anger Management' production
- Lena Dunham agrees to compensate book tour opening acts after online outrage
- The Real Housewives of Atlanta Trailer, Cast Shakeup, Premiere Date and More Revealed!
- Jeopardy!'s "What Women Want" Category Under Fire for Being Sexist, Promoting Gender Stereotypes
- Owen Still Loves Cristina! Grey's Anatomy Scoop Comes From the Most Unlikely Source: Top Chef Duels