Gumby Creator Art Clokey Is Dead
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 9th 2010 02:28PM
Clokey invented Gumby in the early 1950s which led to his making animated shorts featuring the figure and his horse pal Pokey for the 'Howdy Doody Show.' It was his wife Ruth's idea to give him the appearance of a gingerbread man.
Soon enough, Gumby had his own show, 'The Adventures of Gumby,' which was the first to use claymation on TV.
Since then, Gumby has popped up in new films and TV series' and in the 1980s was famously satirized by Eddie Murphy on 'Saturday Night Live.' Murphy's Gumby smoked cigars and was profane, but that didn't bother Clokey.
"Gumby can laugh at himself," Clokey said at the time.
The cultural icon is still popular today and has even moved into the new world of social media -- Gumby has over 134,000 fans on Facebook.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Big Sean Tweets About Nicki Minaj's Butt, Ignores Ex Naya Rivera's Secret Wedding News
- Roland Mouret Collaborates with Banana Republic: Sneak Peek of the Designer's Capsule Collection
- Kim Kardashian Strips Down to Cleavage-Baring Bikini on "Last Day" to Get Tan: Picture
- Jenna Dewan-Tatum At The Nintendo Lounge On The ‘TV Guide Magazine’ Yacht during Comic-Con International
- Joan Rivers slams Selena Gomez for ?Pray for Gaza' post
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Dee Snider using puppets to put his spin on Shakespeare in Broadway show
- Megan Fox Reveals Which Food She Gave Up to Get Her Post-Baby Body Back in Shape—Watch Now!
- Kris Jenner Breaks Down to Kim Kardashian, Admits She Cries Herself to Sleep Over Rob Kardashian in Heartbreaking KUWTK Clip
- The NSFW Reason You Need to Stay Until the Very End of Anna Kendrick and Lena Dunham's New Movie