Gumby Creator Art Clokey Is Dead
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 9th 2010 02:28PM
Clokey invented Gumby in the early 1950s which led to his making animated shorts featuring the figure and his horse pal Pokey for the 'Howdy Doody Show.' It was his wife Ruth's idea to give him the appearance of a gingerbread man.
Soon enough, Gumby had his own show, 'The Adventures of Gumby,' which was the first to use claymation on TV.
Since then, Gumby has popped up in new films and TV series' and in the 1980s was famously satirized by Eddie Murphy on 'Saturday Night Live.' Murphy's Gumby smoked cigars and was profane, but that didn't bother Clokey.
"Gumby can laugh at himself," Clokey said at the time.
The cultural icon is still popular today and has even moved into the new world of social media -- Gumby has over 134,000 fans on Facebook.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Paul Walker Best Man at Brother's Wedding Before Death, Kate Middleton Recycles Gown: Top 5 Thursday Stories
- Zoe Saldana Says She Keeps Marriage Private to "Maintain Some Kind of Sanity"
- Lindsay Lohan Soaks Up Miami Sun in Skimpy Swimsuit: See the Picture
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Break Time: Is Sofia Vergara losing her curves?
- Kim Kardashian criticized for donating just 10 percent of ?charity auction' to typhoon victims
- Gym, Tan, Pokey? ?Jersey Shore' star's grand jury ?Situation'