Gumby Creator Art Clokey Is Dead
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 9th 2010 02:28PM
Clokey invented Gumby in the early 1950s which led to his making animated shorts featuring the figure and his horse pal Pokey for the 'Howdy Doody Show.' It was his wife Ruth's idea to give him the appearance of a gingerbread man.
Soon enough, Gumby had his own show, 'The Adventures of Gumby,' which was the first to use claymation on TV.
Since then, Gumby has popped up in new films and TV series' and in the 1980s was famously satirized by Eddie Murphy on 'Saturday Night Live.' Murphy's Gumby smoked cigars and was profane, but that didn't bother Clokey.
"Gumby can laugh at himself," Clokey said at the time.
The cultural icon is still popular today and has even moved into the new world of social media -- Gumby has over 134,000 fans on Facebook.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- Ed Sheeran "Feels Bad," Says He'll Apologize to Miley Cyrus After Calling Her a Stripper
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets
- Gene Simmons to women: Stop depending on men
- Jim Parsons to star in NBC's ?Elf' animated holiday special
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates Birthday Las Vegas-Style With Kanye West, Family and Friends
- Who Wore it Best? Supernatural's Castiel vs. Constantine's John Constantine
- Neil Patrick Harris Spills His Oscar Prep and Gets Fascinated by Jason Kennedy's Magic Trick—Watch Now!