Gumby Creator Art Clokey Is Dead
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 9th 2010 02:28PM
Clokey invented Gumby in the early 1950s which led to his making animated shorts featuring the figure and his horse pal Pokey for the 'Howdy Doody Show.' It was his wife Ruth's idea to give him the appearance of a gingerbread man.
Soon enough, Gumby had his own show, 'The Adventures of Gumby,' which was the first to use claymation on TV.
Since then, Gumby has popped up in new films and TV series' and in the 1980s was famously satirized by Eddie Murphy on 'Saturday Night Live.' Murphy's Gumby smoked cigars and was profane, but that didn't bother Clokey.
"Gumby can laugh at himself," Clokey said at the time.
The cultural icon is still popular today and has even moved into the new world of social media -- Gumby has over 134,000 fans on Facebook.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kate Hudson Leads Sexy Biker Gang as Mother of Anarchy for Halloween: See Her Ab-Baring Leather Costume
- Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan's 2014 Halloween Costumes: Kimye, Peter Pan, Zombies, and More!
- Honey Boo Boo's Anna Cardwell on What She Would Say to Alleged Child Molester: "Leave or I'm Gonna Call the Cops"
- Grandma Reveals She Rescued Anna, Now Terrified Honey Boo Boo In Danger
- Friends Begin Congratulating Jessica Biel On ‘Impending Motherhood’
- Kim Kardashian's corset selfie raises questions: How dangerous is the practice of corseting?
- Chelsea Handler slams Instagram for removing her topless pic
- Peters Cooks ex-wife apologizes to Christie Brinkley for affair