Gumby Creator Art Clokey Is Dead
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 9th 2010 02:28PM
Clokey invented Gumby in the early 1950s which led to his making animated shorts featuring the figure and his horse pal Pokey for the 'Howdy Doody Show.' It was his wife Ruth's idea to give him the appearance of a gingerbread man.
Soon enough, Gumby had his own show, 'The Adventures of Gumby,' which was the first to use claymation on TV.
Since then, Gumby has popped up in new films and TV series' and in the 1980s was famously satirized by Eddie Murphy on 'Saturday Night Live.' Murphy's Gumby smoked cigars and was profane, but that didn't bother Clokey.
"Gumby can laugh at himself," Clokey said at the time.
The cultural icon is still popular today and has even moved into the new world of social media -- Gumby has over 134,000 fans on Facebook.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Christin Milioti Calls How I Met Your Mother Finale Death Rumors "Insane"
- Stacy Keiber, Jared Pobre Didn't Tell Any Friends About Their Surprise "Rogue" Wedding
- Julia Roberts, Matt Bomer, Mark Ruffalo Make Emotional Plea in The Normal Heart Trailer
- Ramona Singer ‘Not Heartbroken’ Over Cheating Husband Mario: ‘Everything Will Work Out The Way I Want It To Work Out’
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Aretha Franklin: Obama was 'tired' when he misspelled 'R-E-S-P-E-C-T'
- Kate Upton topless photos fake; model threatens to sue