Conan O'Brien and Jay Leno Team Up to Bash NBC
By Marc Schneider Posted Jan 9th 2010 10:50AM
On Thursday, Jay Leno was the only one to lash out at NBC over reports it's considering canceling his new show and moving him back to late nights. But on Friday, the guy that would be most affected by such a move got in on the peacock bashing.
"We've got a great show for you tonight. I have no idea what time it will air -- but it's going to be a great show," Conan O'Brien said in his Friday night monologue on 'The Tonight Show.' He later went through a list of all the rumors swirling around, like that "NBC is going to throw me and Jay in a pit with sharpened sticks. The one who crawls out gets to leave NBC."
Leno also sharpened his criticism in Friday's 'Jay Leno Show' monologue: "NBC is working on a solution they say in which all parties would be screwed equally. It's that certain NBC touch!"
He also invoked the sex scandal involving his former rival, David Letterman, who is currently crushing Conan in the ratings. "NBC is thinking about canceling our show. Do ya know what that means? I didn't sleep with any of my staff for nothing?"
NBC is said to be considering returning Leno to his 11:35 p.m. time slot and moving 'Tonight' to midnight. His contract reportedly allows the network to move 'Tonight' to 12:05, but no later. If Conan decides to leave NBC over its proposed lineup revamp, he does have one network that would gladly take him: FOX.
A FOX insider, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told the AP that the network sees Conan as a good fit and will continue to monitor the situation.
PopEater's Rob Shuter reported on December 17 that NBC was courting Jerry Seinfeld to replace O'Brien in the hopes of boosting that slot's sagging ratings. Unfortunately, NBC was unable to ink the deal according to Shuter, which then prompted the possible Leno switch.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Prince George, Prince William, Kate Middleton Color-Coordinate Outfits En Route to Sydney: Picture
- Kate Middleton, Prince William Pose With Adorable Police Puppies in New Zealand: Pictures
- Pharrell Cries "Happy" Tears; Tony Dovolani Talks DWTS Tiff With NeNe: Top Stories
- Dean McDermott Visits 12 Step Recovery Merchandise Store, Says He’s ‘Trying To Get Sober’ To Save Marriage With Wife Tori Spelling
- Paul Walker's brothers to stand in for late actor as 'Fast & Furious 7' wraps
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cites 'severe' allergic reaction
- Tracy Morgan 'concerned' about Alec Baldwin
- The Voice Unveils Their Top 12, Glee's Not-So Sexy Shenanigans and More OMG TV Moments!
- Kate Middleton Looks Perfect While Trying to Stay Dry, Prince George Continues to Be Royally Adorable
- FX's Fargo: What Did You Think of Billy Bob Thornton's Dark New Drama? Plus, Behind-the-Scenes Scoop!