Whoopi Goldberg Defends Senator's Racial Remarks about Barack Obama
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 11th 2010 05:44PM
The View' got heated when Whoopi Goldberg defended Nevada Senator Harry Reid's racial remarks about President Barack Obama. Reid was accused of saying Obama would be a good presidential candidate even though he's African American -- using a word considered outdated to describe the president. "Negro is not a bad word. There are a lot of worse things he could have said," Goldberg says. The argument between the 'View' gals gets so heated that most of Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Sherri Shepherd's comments are censored. Watch:
PRODUCTION PLAYER! DO NOT DELETE.
The heated 'View' argument stems from allegations made in a new book 'Game Change.' Authors John Heilemann and Mark Halperin claim, "He [Reid] was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.'"
"Reid was convinced, in fact, that Obama's race would help him more than hurt him in a bid for the Democratic nomination," they write.
In a statement to CNN, Reid said, "I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words."
"I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African Americans for my improper comments. I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama's legislative agenda," the senator said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Chelsea Handler Slams Piers Morgan: "You're a Terrible Interviewer"
- Juan Pablo Galavis Shares, Dedicates Highlights Video to Nikki Ferrell: "Adventures in Loving You"
- Mary-Kate Olsen, Olivier Sarkozy Make Joint First Post-Engagement Appearance: See the Picture
- Hollywood Walk Of Shame: Roll Call Of Lindsay Lohan’s ’36 Lovers’ Revealed ? And You'll Never Believe Who's On The List!
- Lady Gaga's charity spent $1.85 million on expenses in 2012, gave one $5,000 grant
- Best and worst celebrity beach bodies (okay mostly best)
- Your move Netflix: Four Amazon pilots get picked up