Is MTV's 'Jersey Shore' Invading 'The Hills'?
By Jo Piazza Posted Jan 12th 2010 03:24PM
If you've turned on MTV in the past month chances are good you have landed at the "Jersey Shore." The controversial reality program has taken the network by storm... so is the 'Shore' the new 'Hills'? Is Snooki the new Heidi? And can we finally say a collective buh-bye to Spencer Pratt? Our experts are leaning towards, YES, YES AND YES. Let's take a look at the top three reasons the 'Shore' is the place to be and the 'Hills' are so 2009.
1. The folks on the "Jersey Shore" get things done!
"More happens on Jersey Shore while The Situation is taking care of his GTLs (gym, tanning, laundry) than ever happened in five seasons of 'the Hills,'" said New York Daily News television writer Cristina Kinon.
It's true, fans have been waiting for Heidi and LC to make up for years. In a mere fraction of that time Snooki has gotten into something like six fights, Vinnie has fallen on five grenades and Pauly D. has gotten about 1,0000 blowouts.
2. The "Shore" makes us feel better about ourselves.
It's fair to say 'The Hills' just made us feel bad that we weren't 20 years old with an awesome apartment and a cool-sounding job where we didn't have to do much work.
"The show is fascinating because the cast is so completely unabashed about who they are and what they like. After the first season of 'The Hills', and the fame it brought those stars, they became hyper aware of the characters they were supposed to play and became too predictable," Kinon said. "That would most likely happen with 'Jersey Shore', too, but for now we can sit and be shocked with every fist pump."
It isn't those crazy 'Hills' kids' faults that the 'Shore' has made them irrelevant. They are the creation of a different time. 'The Hills' was born into a time of prosperity when we still wanted our reality television characters to be as pretty as the people on scripted television."
"'The Hills' came out back in that golden era when we were all pretending that reality TV was classy. Look! The characters are rich, pretty, thin, and have nothing to say! Just like me!!," said Ronnie Karam, a Senior Editor for Tvgasm.com. "Then 'reality' hit. We finally had to face the facts that our jobs suck, we can make shapes out of our stomach fat, and we might as well just be drunk, slutty and super loud. Look in the mirror, America. You're a trashy wh---e. And we're way better off just admitting it. Now please excuse me while I go do naked cartwheels and tan."
3. Snooki may have said f--k you to Dominos but The Situation would never mouth off to Al Roker.
The thing about the 'Jersey Shore' is that everyone is watching it. There was never such popular support behind 'The Hills.' Red state or blue state everyone can get behind ravioli night. That is unless you're excluded from it.
"'The Hills' is over, finished, put a fork in it. It's all about 'The Jersey Shore.' When you have Brian Williams, the Voice of America, admitting he is watching then you have made it," said PopEater's own "Naughty But Nice" columnist Rob Shuter "Plus, The Situation, would never be rude to Al Roker. Bite me Spencer Pratt, you are officially OVER!"
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
Kate Gosselin show off her new hair extensions as she lunches with an unidentified male in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jon Cryer on Charlie Sheen: I Lived With the Fear of Something Horrible Happening to Him
- See Us Weekly's Readers' Best Celebrity-Themed Halloween Costumes Here!
- Jessica Biel Pregnant? Editor Congratulates Her on "Impending Motherhood"
- Iggy Azalea And Victoria's Secret PINK Models Elsa Hosk And Rachel Hilbert Attends Victoria's Secret PINK Nation Crazy For Campus Bash At UNLV
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Orson Welles' final film may be released
- 'I Was Here': Beyonce song inspires Iraqi youth peace movement
- The Kardashians Love to Curse: "This Family Is So F----d Up"—Watch the Hilarious Cursing Supercut!
- Robert Pattinson and FKA Twigs Are ''Getting Pretty Serious''—Get the Scoop on the Couple!
- Miley Cyrus' Creepy Baby Mask, Fergie's Elvira Costume and More Celebs' Scariest Halloween Moments—See the Pics!