Brangelina Give $1 Million to Haiti Relief, Join Chorus of Worried Celebs
By Marc Schneider Posted Jan 14th 2010 12:39PM
Brad Pitt and Angelina have pledged $1 million to the relief effort in the wake of devastating earthquakes in Haiti. The Hollywood power couple are giving the huge sum to Doctors Without Borders, which is sending emergency medical operations to the battered nation. "We understand the first response is critical to serve the immediate needs of countless people who are now displaced from their homes, are suffering trauma, and most require urgent care," Pitt said in a statement. They join a chorus of other celebrities and entertainment companies to urge help for survivors of the disaster.
► The Hollywood Foreign Press, the group behind the Golden Globes, announced Thursday they are giving $100,000 to Haiti native Wyclef Jean's Yele Haiti relief fund.
► Viacom, parent to MTV and Paramount, is setting up a $500,000 matching gift program.
► Walt Disney Co. is giving the Red Cross $100,000
Besides money, many celebrities are using their voices. Some of their comments:
► Oprah Winfrey: "This is a time where we, as a global nation, should come together and support those who are in need."
► Wyclef: "I cannot stress enough what a human disaster this is, and idle hands will only make this tragedy worse. The over 2 million people in Port-au-Prince tonight face catastrophe alone. We must act now."
► Chris Martin, Coldplay: "I visited Haiti with Oxfam a few years ago. It's a country of extreme poverty and brutal living conditions. Most people in Port-au-Prince live in tin shacks. The earthquake that has struck Haiti will have turned the city into an unimaginable hell."
► Ben Stiller: "People in Haiti need our help and attention right now."
► Scarlett Johansson: "My heart goes out to the millions of people affected by the tragic events that have afflicted Haiti. As an ambassador of Oxfam, I urge those who are able to donate to the organization which currently has over 200 people on the ground and a team of 15 highly-experienced emergency specialists based in the capital that are responding with public health, water and sanitation services to prevent the spread of water borne disease."
More Haiti Coverage:
- Obama Pledges Massive Aid
- Haiti's Future Looks Grim
- As Aid Pours In, Tragedy Unfolds
- Quake Exposes Silent Crisis
- Limbaugh Slams Obama's Response
- Text Messages Raise Big Money
- How You Can Help
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- 'Battered' Harrison Ford survives crash landing on southern California golf course
- Indie rock band Ex Cops calls out McDonalds for not paying bands at SXSW showcase
- Susan Sarandon reportedly splits from boy toy
- Harrison Ford in Plane Crash: New Details
- Kyle Richards Responds to ?RHOBH' Fight Between Sister Kim and Lisa Rinna
- Nick Gordon's Mom Drops Bombshell Claim About Whitney Houston
- Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" Gets Bizarre-Yet-Perfect Game of Thrones Mash-Up: Watch Now!
- Pregnant Jennifer Love Hewitt Debuts Second Baby Bump -- See Her Chic Maternity Look!
- Kim Kardashian, Kanye West Treat Themselves to a Little Afternoon Delight in KUWTK Premiere