Pat Robertson Blames Haiti Quake on 'Pact with the Devil'
By Sam Brand Posted Jan 14th 2010 12:38PM
It's mostly gloom and doom on the Internet today. The Haitian government warns that "hundreds of thousands" could be dead after Tuesday's massive quake. Famed televangelist Pat Robertson has grabbed headlines by blaming the devastation on a "pact with the devil." R&B superstar Teddy Pendergrass is dead. And the 'Doomsday Clock' says the apocalypse is just a few ticks away. This is What You're Searching For Today...
Pat Robertson Haiti – The outspoken 79-year-old televangelist is no stranger to controversy. He predicted doomsday in 1976. He claimed he can stop a hurricane through prayer. And he called for the assassination of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez last year. On Wednesday Robertson dropped one of his most controversial quotes yet. "Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," Robertson said on his Christian Broadcast Network. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French' ... Ever since they've been cursed by one thing or the other." See the video below.
Teddy Pendergrass Dead – You probably know the name. If not, you definitely know the music. You've heard "If You Don't Know Me By Know" on late-night oldies radio. You probably once mistook "Close The Door" for an Al Green or Barry White song. (Teddy was more talented than those two legends.) And you know Ahmad's "Back In The Day." The '90s hip-hop classic would never exist had it not poached the hot guitar lick on the oft-covered Pendergrass gem "Love T.K.O." Teddy Pendergrass died of colon cancer on Wednesday. He was 59.
Doomsday Clock – The board of directors at the Bulletin of the Atomic Sciences at the University of Chicago founded the Doomsday Clock in 1947 to remind the world how close we always are to nuclear devastation. The initial setting was 11:53. The clock still exists, and its minute hand has been moved 19 times since 1947. On Tuesday, the Bulletin moved the minute hand away from midnight for the first time in 19 years, citing world progress on "nuclear security and climate stabilization." The hand moved from five to six minutes before twelve. Maybe it's not all gloom and doom on the internet today, after all.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Britney Spears Teams Major Side Boob With Short Shorts: See Her Bold Workout Ensemble!
- Josh Murray Is Dating Anna von Staehle After Andi Dorfman Split: Meet His New Girlfriend!
- Teenage Boy Arrested for Instagramming Eminem Lyrics That Reference Columbine Shooting
- Cindy Crawford doesn't understand why unflattering photo makes other feel good
- Courtney Stodden's mom Krista regrets letting daughter marry older husband
- Justin Bieber explains why he cried after his VMAs performance
- Cat Deeley Is Pregnant! SYTYCD Host Expecting First Child Patrick Kielty
- Fashion Police: Celebrating Joan Looks Back at Joan Rivers' Most Hilarious Moments: Watch a Preview of Tonight's Special!
- Vicki and Briana Have Heated Real Housewives of Orange County Confrontation Over Brooks—Watch Now!