Pat Robertson Blames Haiti Quake on 'Pact with the Devil'
By Sam Brand Posted Jan 14th 2010 12:38PM
It's mostly gloom and doom on the Internet today. The Haitian government warns that "hundreds of thousands" could be dead after Tuesday's massive quake. Famed televangelist Pat Robertson has grabbed headlines by blaming the devastation on a "pact with the devil." R&B superstar Teddy Pendergrass is dead. And the 'Doomsday Clock' says the apocalypse is just a few ticks away. This is What You're Searching For Today...
Pat Robertson Haiti – The outspoken 79-year-old televangelist is no stranger to controversy. He predicted doomsday in 1976. He claimed he can stop a hurricane through prayer. And he called for the assassination of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez last year. On Wednesday Robertson dropped one of his most controversial quotes yet. "Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," Robertson said on his Christian Broadcast Network. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French' ... Ever since they've been cursed by one thing or the other." See the video below.
Teddy Pendergrass Dead – You probably know the name. If not, you definitely know the music. You've heard "If You Don't Know Me By Know" on late-night oldies radio. You probably once mistook "Close The Door" for an Al Green or Barry White song. (Teddy was more talented than those two legends.) And you know Ahmad's "Back In The Day." The '90s hip-hop classic would never exist had it not poached the hot guitar lick on the oft-covered Pendergrass gem "Love T.K.O." Teddy Pendergrass died of colon cancer on Wednesday. He was 59.
Doomsday Clock – The board of directors at the Bulletin of the Atomic Sciences at the University of Chicago founded the Doomsday Clock in 1947 to remind the world how close we always are to nuclear devastation. The initial setting was 11:53. The clock still exists, and its minute hand has been moved 19 times since 1947. On Tuesday, the Bulletin moved the minute hand away from midnight for the first time in 19 years, citing world progress on "nuclear security and climate stabilization." The hand moved from five to six minutes before twelve. Maybe it's not all gloom and doom on the internet today, after all.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Prince William, Pregnant Kate Middleton Teach Prince George How to Swim on Luxurious Babymoon
- Yolanda Foster Receives Flowers From Kris Jenner During Lyme Disease Battle: Picture
- Bobbi Kristina Reportedly in Medically Induced Coma as Bobby Brown Visits
- Steve Kroft's sexually explicit texts to mistress
- 'American Sniper' sets new Super Bowl weekend record
- Roseanne thinks Bill Cosby is guilty but still 'not the end' of his career
- Mychal Kendricks Professes His Love for Rihanna, Wants to "Put a Smile on Her Face" By Go-Cart Racing
- Scarlett Johansson Gushes Over "Shockingly Handsome" Chris Hemsworth
- Victor Cruz Reveals When He's Getting Married, Promises Giant Wedding Won't Be a "Snoozefest"