Pat Robertson Blames Haiti Quake on 'Pact with the Devil'
By Sam Brand Posted Jan 14th 2010 12:38PM
It's mostly gloom and doom on the Internet today. The Haitian government warns that "hundreds of thousands" could be dead after Tuesday's massive quake. Famed televangelist Pat Robertson has grabbed headlines by blaming the devastation on a "pact with the devil." R&B superstar Teddy Pendergrass is dead. And the 'Doomsday Clock' says the apocalypse is just a few ticks away. This is What You're Searching For Today...
Pat Robertson Haiti – The outspoken 79-year-old televangelist is no stranger to controversy. He predicted doomsday in 1976. He claimed he can stop a hurricane through prayer. And he called for the assassination of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez last year. On Wednesday Robertson dropped one of his most controversial quotes yet. "Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," Robertson said on his Christian Broadcast Network. "They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French' ... Ever since they've been cursed by one thing or the other." See the video below.
Teddy Pendergrass Dead – You probably know the name. If not, you definitely know the music. You've heard "If You Don't Know Me By Know" on late-night oldies radio. You probably once mistook "Close The Door" for an Al Green or Barry White song. (Teddy was more talented than those two legends.) And you know Ahmad's "Back In The Day." The '90s hip-hop classic would never exist had it not poached the hot guitar lick on the oft-covered Pendergrass gem "Love T.K.O." Teddy Pendergrass died of colon cancer on Wednesday. He was 59.
Doomsday Clock – The board of directors at the Bulletin of the Atomic Sciences at the University of Chicago founded the Doomsday Clock in 1947 to remind the world how close we always are to nuclear devastation. The initial setting was 11:53. The clock still exists, and its minute hand has been moved 19 times since 1947. On Tuesday, the Bulletin moved the minute hand away from midnight for the first time in 19 years, citing world progress on "nuclear security and climate stabilization." The hand moved from five to six minutes before twelve. Maybe it's not all gloom and doom on the internet today, after all.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Robert Ri'chard Compares Magic Mike and Chocolate City
- Jason Derulo: Jordin Sparks Split Is "So Behind Me"
- Sarah Stage Poses in Bikini Photo Shoot Five Weeks After Giving Birth, Looks Perfectly Fit: Photos
- '19 Kids and Counting' yanked from TLC's schedule
- 'Bachelorette' Kaitlyn Bristowe: 'Not ashamed' of having sex on the show
- Flavor Flav arrested in Las Vegas on allegations of DUI, marijuana possession, speeding
- Chris Pratt Is Already Apologizing for Anything Offensive He Might Say During Jurassic World Press Tour: ''I Am Just Dumb''
- Brantley Gilbert Talks New Music and Marrying The One Who Almost Got Away
- Pete Davidson Live-Tweets His Harry Potter Movie Marathon: The Boy Who Lived Is ''Dope as F--k''