Mel Gibson's 'Hellish' War With Cigarettes
"It was torture," says Gibson. "The first three days I was like an axe murderer. Day 4: I'd come at you with a bat. Day 5: I was dangerous with a lawn mower. It is a hellish habit to break." Gibson half-joked that he's convinced his mother smoked when she had him in the womb, explaining how he quickly got hooked after starting at a young age. "When I first had one when I was nine-years-old I thought, 'I missed this, Oh my God.' I knew I missed it."
Stopping has had a massive impact on his work. "Every single artistic decision I ever made was done with a cigarette," says Gibson. "To not have that, that's pretty hectic. That's crawling the walls, I did anyway."
But the improvement it will have on his health will surely benefit Gibson, who clearly has no plans of slowing down. In 'Edge of Darkness,' the action veteran not only continues to throw punches but also absorbs his share of blows. The 54-year-old Gibson can use all the help he can get to keep up with the high-octane shoots. One fight scene in particular required special preparation.
"I ordered a chiropractor for the day after," says Gibson. "I knew I was going to wake up like road kill. You don't bounce back as quick as you used to. It's not a pleasant experience. Things don't pop back the way they used to."
The whole thought of body pain and a world without smoking made GIbson forget that he has a hot, young Russian girlfriend.
"There's no more fun thing left," says Gibson "I just don't do anything fun anymore."
Putting the nail in the depression coffin he sighed: "But that's dying isn't it? You die in stages. Things go in pieces. I'm more than halfway through."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Miley Cyrus and Rumer Willis flash their nipples in photo shoot
- R&B singer Johnny Kemp found dead on beach
- Shia LaBeouf says rehab therapy was like method acting
- 'Independence Day 2': Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch Returning
- 'Black-ish' Cast, Larry Wilmore Talk Breaking Down Barriers and Trevor Noah Controversy
- Paradigm Chairman Hosts Bash for 'Furious 7' Director as Film Crosses $1 Billion
- 'Friends' Quiz: Which Character Said the Quote?
- How Well Do You Really Know 'Almost Famous'?
- Watch the First 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' Trailer in All Its Glory