In Haiti: Anderson Cooper Carries Boy to Safety, Gupta Performs Surgery
By Marc Schneider Posted Jan 19th 2010 08:04AM
Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta played superheros on CNN over the weekend. First off, while covering the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake, Cooper put down his camera and microphone and pulled a bloodied young boy away from a chaotic scene in front of a storefront in Port-au-Prince.
Footage of the chaos shows Cooper amid a group of rock-hurling looters. The boy shown in the segment was apparently struck in the head by debris and began bleeding profusely. Cooper began helping the child walk away, but then decided to carry him to safer ground. Watch after the jump:
But he wasn't the only CNN journalist to step in to help. While Cooper used his muscles, Dr. Sanjay Gupta used his medical degree. The reporter literally performed neurosurgery on a young girl on a U.S. aircraft carrier after no qualified doctors could be found. She had a 0.4-inch chunk of concrete embedded in her skull. Assisted by Los Angeles surgeon Henri Ford, Gupta pulled off the surgery between his multiple reports for CNN.
"Someone got a hold of our international desk," Gupta later recalled. "They said there was an urgent call from the Carl Vinson. So I put a call in to them and there was something about a head injury."
Gupta and Ford said they believed the girl would make a full recovery.
"I was honored to help out," said Gupta afterward. "I have a profound respect for the capabilities of the US Navy and the medical team on board the Carl Vinson."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Carrie Underwood Says "Mean People Need Jesus," Selena Gomez Curses Onstage: Top 5 Weekend Stories
- Miley Cyrus Rocks a Blonde Bob at a Christmas Music Festival: Picture
- Prince Harry's South Pole Excursion Delayed Due to Inclement Weather
RadarOnline.comFEEDMore News at Radar Online Li
- Memorial for Paul Walker draws thousands in LA
- 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M in second week
- Susan Boyle says she has Asperger's syndrome
- WWE Diva Nattie Has to Euthanize Her Cat Because of Serious Health Issues—See the Full Total Divas Recap!
- A Fan Favorite Dies on Once Upon a Time, Brody Chooses a Side in Homeland and More OMG TV Moments
- Simon Cowell's Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Celebrates Baby Shower at His Beverly Hills Home