In Haiti: Anderson Cooper Carries Boy to Safety, Gupta Performs Surgery
By Marc Schneider Posted Jan 19th 2010 08:04AM
Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta played superheros on CNN over the weekend. First off, while covering the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake, Cooper put down his camera and microphone and pulled a bloodied young boy away from a chaotic scene in front of a storefront in Port-au-Prince.
Footage of the chaos shows Cooper amid a group of rock-hurling looters. The boy shown in the segment was apparently struck in the head by debris and began bleeding profusely. Cooper began helping the child walk away, but then decided to carry him to safer ground. Watch after the jump:
But he wasn't the only CNN journalist to step in to help. While Cooper used his muscles, Dr. Sanjay Gupta used his medical degree. The reporter literally performed neurosurgery on a young girl on a U.S. aircraft carrier after no qualified doctors could be found. She had a 0.4-inch chunk of concrete embedded in her skull. Assisted by Los Angeles surgeon Henri Ford, Gupta pulled off the surgery between his multiple reports for CNN.
"Someone got a hold of our international desk," Gupta later recalled. "They said there was an urgent call from the Carl Vinson. So I put a call in to them and there was something about a head injury."
Gupta and Ford said they believed the girl would make a full recovery.
"I was honored to help out," said Gupta afterward. "I have a profound respect for the capabilities of the US Navy and the medical team on board the Carl Vinson."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bill Nye the Science Guy Reads Mean Tweets About Himself in Funny Video
- Peyton List Has a Pimple-Popping App, Was Nicknamed "the Octopus": 25 Things You Don't Know About Me
- Drew Barrymore Ready For Baby No. 3? "The Door's Open, But I'm No Spring Chicken"
- Wrestling legend Roddy Piper dead at 61
- Actress Valerie Harper out of hospital, resting with family
- Lynn Anderson, singer of 'Rose Garden,' dead at 67
- Vanessa Hudgens and Austin Butler Go on Romantic Safari in Africa—See the Pics!
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Family, Including Bobby Brown, Pat and Cissy Houston, Gather at Wake
- Kim Kardashian Calls Herself a ''Soccer Mom,'' Shares Photos of North West Playing Her New Favorite Sport!