In Defense of Heidi Montag: Live and Let Lipo
We're not averse to taking an unpopular stand, so for better or worse, it falls to us to defend the most unlikely hero of all... Heidi Montag, a.k.a. "Mrs. Spencer Pratt," a.k.a. "the girl from 'The Hills' who married the guy with the worst beard on the planet." PopEater's Oliver Miller takes up the gauntlet in honor of a recently sculpted and much-maligned Montag. Check out his logic after the jump...
This past week, Heidi sat down with People to discuss how she recently had ten plastic surgery procedures done in a single day. To be fair, ten operations is a lot of plastic surgery - especially considering that Heidi has had three previous surgical alterations. On the other hand, the response to her recent interview makes us cringe. Everyone on the planet is attacking Heidi Montag; her friends are calling her crazy, media outlets are calling her "addicted," and in general, she's being dismissed as a looks-obsessed strumpet with no clearly defined talent.
Well, it's time to draw a line in the sand. If Heidi Montag is obsessed with having plastic surgery, then we're obsessed with obsessing about the fact that she's obsessed with plastic surgery. And that needs to stop. Please compare Heidi, completely untouched, to Heidi right now:
Sorry, guys. But four years and thirteen operations later, Heidi Montag looks... quite a bit hotter. And if maybe she worries too much about her looks, and if maybe it makes her happy to have these operations, then who are we to endlessly drone on and complain about it? Let's just shut our yap-holes. Let the girl have some semi-unnecessary cosmetic surgery if she wants to. Geez. Heidi isn't mutilating herself like Michael Jackson did, and it's not like our freaking out over Michael Jackson did Michael Jackson any good either. It's Heidi's body, and it's her money, and she can spend that money on making her breasts more silicone-y if she wants.
And finally, and perhaps most importantly, this whole "scandal" smacks of the most blatant hypocrisy. The tabloid magazines that are now attacking Heidi are the exact same magazines that run cover stories like "OMG! Jessica Simpson Gained Five Pounds and Is Now an Ugly Pathetic Wretch Who Will Never Find True Love" and, "Kristie Alley, Is She Fat or What, Huh?"
As Americans, we need to start admitting that we're shallow, fixated on looks, and way, way too obsessed with celebrities' every life choice. We relentlessly gossip about and mock male and female celebrities who become in any way less attractive. And then we act all surprised when celebrities become overly concerned with their looks.
If it's "okay" to mock Jessica Simpson for suddenly looking 2% less attractive, then it should be okay for Heidi Montag to get surgery that makes her look 2% more attractive. We can't have it both ways. If we get to be shallow, then Mrs. Montag should get to be shallow too.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Adam Levine Talks Behati Prinsloo Marriage and Family: "I Want to Have More Kids Than Would Be Socially Responsible"
- Ariana Grande Plays Coy About Her Love Life, Jokes She's Secretly Married
- Angelina Jolie Photographed With Ring After Brad Pitt Wedding News Breaks
- Angelina Jolie Is The Picture Of Frail On Malta Honeymoon ? See How Thin She Looks
- Coco Austin Leaves Little To The Imagination In A Super Skimpy Bikini While Vacationing With Husband Ice-T
- ?It's Not Reality!’ ?RHONJ' Star Rosie Pierri's TV Girlfriend Claims Bravo 'Staged’ Their Whole On-Air Romance
- Political correctness in Hollywood running amok?
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Harrison Ford back in action as 'Star Wars' resumes filming
- American Idol First Look: Harry Connick Jr. Jams With a Season 14 Standout and It's Super Cute
- Vanessa Hudgens Surprises 17-Year-Old Fan Battling Cancer at His Prom—See the Pic!
- Adam Brody Talks Married Life With Leighton Meester, Reveals What It Was Like Kissing O.C. Costar Rachel Bilson