'Survivor' Star Jennifer Lyon Dies of Breast Cancer
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 20th 2010 02:14PM
"She had beaten it into remission once, but then it came back and was in her bones," 'Survivor: Micronesia' star Eliza Orlins told TVGuide.com. UsMagazine.com confirmed the sad news.
The former nanny was diagnosed with stage-three breast cancer two months after the tenth season of 'Survivor' wrapped in 2005. That year, she told PEOPLE about finding out about the cancer and how she was forced to get a bilateral mastectomy that summer.
"In the summer of 2004, I felt something in my right breast that didn't feel normal," Lyon said. "I thought it was probably scar tissue related to my breast implants. So I let it go -- for a long time."
Lyon, who had become an advocate for other women struggling with the disease, thanked fans on her Web site, which still displays the message.
Austin Carty, another 'Survivor' alum, called Lyon a "genuinely selfless, sweet-natured person."Thank you so much to everyone for sending their encouragement and prayers. It means so much to me and every single one is appreciated. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
"She was engaged in the greatest fight of her life, but she had every intention to fight and spread her positive messages," Carty said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield Photographed Together First Time Post-Split
- Lena Headey Reveals Second Baby Gender: Game of Thrones Star Expecting Girl
- Vampire Diaries Stars Candice Accola, Kat Graham Share Favorite Nina Dobrev Memories With Us Weekly: Watch!
- '19 Kids and Counting' yanked from TLC's schedule
- 'Bachelorette' Kaitlyn Bristowe: 'Not ashamed' of having sex on the show
- Flavor Flav arrested in Las Vegas on allegations of DUI, marijuana possession, speeding
- Blake Lively Just Called Ryan Reynolds a "Hypocrite" and He May Have Totally Deserved It After This Daring Stunt
- Kim Richards Attends Daughter Brooke's "Dream" Wedding in Mexico With Kyle Richards and Paris Hilton
- Kylie Jenner Kicks Off Memorial Day Weekend With Sexy Bikini Tops and Soaking Wet Jeans—Take a Look!