On Final 'Tonight Show,' Conan O'Brien Says He's Done a 'Decade Too Early'
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 22nd 2010 10:33PM
On his final 'Tonight Show' appearance, and certainly his final appearance hosting a show for the next seven months, Conan O'Brien joked that he had another ten years to give.
"We've a had a lot of fun being here these last seven months, but like everything in life, the fun has to come to an end a decade too early," the comedian joked during his opening monologue (via PEOPLE). "As I set off for exciting new career opportunities, I just want to make one thing clear to everyone listening out there ... I will do nudity."
"We have exactly one hour to steal everything in this studio," he joked before launching into various sketches. More Details on His Heartfelt Goodbye After the Jump!
Conan joked that his settlement doesn't allow him to host a show for seven months, but volunteered to be loyal sidekick Andy Richter's wingman on a future program. He also listed possibilities for what could happen to his new studio. Our favorite: Magician David Blaine will attempt the impossble by trying to remain in the studio for more than seven months.
A parade of celebrities followed including Will Ferrell and Tom Hanks, who led the crowd in a CoCo chant before heading off to appear at the Hope for Haiti Now Telethon. Coverage of the Star Studded Event Here >>> NBC employee Steve Carell performed an "official" exit interview. "Would you consider working for NBC in the future," he asked.
Longtime supporter Neil Young also appeared to sing a 1976 Stills-Young oldie, 'Long May You Run.'
O'Brien turned emotional towards the end of the show -- a rare site in weeks that have involved bitter words and hard-hitting jokes between Conan, Jay Leno and David Letterman.
"There has been a lot of speculation in the press about what I legally can and can't say about NBC. To set the record straight, tonight I am allowed to say anything I want. And what I want to say is this: between my time at Saturday Night Live, The Late Night Show, and my brief run here on the Tonight Show, I have worked with NBC for over 20 years. Yes, we have our differences right now and yes, we're going to go our separate ways, but this company has been my home for most of my adult life. I am enormously proud of the work we have done together, and I want to thank NBC for making it all possible."
"Finally, I have to say something to our fans," O'Brien said during his wrap-up, fighting off tears. "The massive outpouring of support and passion from so many people has been overwhelming. The rallies, the signs, all the goofy, outrageous creativity on the Internet, and the fact that people have traveled long distances and camped out all night in the pouring rain to be in our audience, made a sad situation joyous and inspirational. To all the people watching, I can never thank you enough for your kindness to me and I'll think about it for the rest of my life."
Conan turned to his younger viewers last. "Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. For the record, it's my least favorite quality. It's doesn't lead anywhere. No one in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."
O'Brien has been the center of a late night firestorm. It was announced earlier this week that NBC inked a deal with Conan to end the host's short tenure on 'The Tonight Show,' NBC has confirmed. This paved the way for officially allowing Jay Leno to return to late night from his unsuccessful run at 10 p.m.
According to the network, O'Brien will receive $33 million and his staff another $12 million. The sticking point in O'Brien's complex exit negotiations with NBC had involved his employees. More Details on Conan's New Deal and His Final Monologue Below:
MORE ABOUT Conan O'Brien
Find the latest stories, biography, photos, videos, and more.Read more about Conan O'Brien Li
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Portia de Rossi Cast in Scandal Season 4 For "Top Secret" Multi-Episode Arc
- Lauren Conrad Shows Off "Real Blonde" New Hair Color on Instagram: See Her Style!
- Celeb Sightings! See Where Your Favorite Stars Hung Out This Week
- Pope & Associates Update! Portia De Rossi Joins ?Scandal' In ?Top Secret' Storyline ? Will Appear In Multiple Episodes!
- Keeping It Quiet! Michael Skakel Wants Infamous ?Hoffman Tapes' Suppressed In New Trial – Solving Martha Moxley Murder
- Court Allows Confidentiality Suit From Gay Pilot, Who Claims 80s Affair With John Travolta, To Continue
- Duran Duran files lawsuit accusing fan club of breach of contract
- Diane Keaton and Michael Douglas bond while filming 'And So It Goes'
- CBS says new 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert to keep show in NYC
- Joseph Morgan Marries Vampire Diaries Co-Star Persia White—All the Wedding Details!
- Naya Rivera Is "Telling Everyone She's Really in Love" With Ryan Dorsey, Adopts Hubby's Surname on Twitter and Instagram
- Live Like One of the #RichKids of Beverly Hills With the Perfect Spotify Playlist—Hear Iggy Azalea, Charli XCX and More!