Not for Book Club: Kitty Kelley Takes on Oprah
By Marc Schneider Posted Jan 22nd 2010 07:48AM
Kitty Kelley, the queen of gossipy and unflattering (but extremely best-selling) celebrity biographies, has a new subject that isn't gonna like it: Oprah Winfrey.
The author's publisher announced Thursday that her 544-page unauthorized 'Oprah: A Biography' will be released April 13, with a huge first printing of 500,000 copies. We've got a hunch Oprah won't be adding this biography to her book club.
Kelley says she has high regard for Winfrey, but also felt committed to writing the truth. Kelley says she devoted the past three years to examining Winfrey's life. She says she came away "full of admiration for her accomplishments and fascinated by her complexity."
David Drake of Crown Publishers said it was time to get a closer look at the TV icon.
"Oprah has spent years eliciting intimate confessionals from her subjects, but she herself has a carefully guarded persona," Drake says, according to EW's Shelf Life blog. "This is the first complete portrait of her -- it will reveal Oprah as she has never been seen before."
But what will it actually reveal about her? "It will cover all aspects of her life...It will be evenhanded. Kelley understands Oprah's cultural importance and that is something she covers at length."
Winfrey has apparently known about Kelley's book for some time. Drake says that a few years ago she said "something along the lines of, 'I'm not encouraging it, I'm not discouraging it; this is America.'"
Kelley is known for her salacious biographies about the Kennedys, the Bush's, Nancy Reagan and Frank Sinatra. Critics have called her books "Kitty litter" and she's been accused of libel, but has never been sued.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jessica Simpson Gets Sexy Short Haircut, Shows Off Lighter Locks: Instagram Picture
- George Clooney, Amal Alamuddin Celebrate Second Wedding Bash: Details
- Mama June's Daughter Anna Cardwell Claims She Was Molested By Mother's Boyfriend
- Jake Steinfeld Joins Governors Across The Country To Open Live Positively Fitness Centers
- More Problems For Leah Messer! ‘Teen Mom 2′ Star & Husband Jeremy Calvert Hit With A $10K Tax Lien
- Cream vocalist, bassist Jack Bruce dies at 71
- Rumer Willis is 'blown away' by her sister Tallulah's strength
- 'Breaking Bad's' Aaron Paul slams Toys R Us over recall
- Rihanna Looks Sexy in Black, Shows Off Fantastic Figure While Promoting New Fragrance
- Todd Chrisley Sets the Record Straight on His Relationship With His Bipolar Son, Kyle: "I Want What's Best for Him"
- Wow! Jessica Simpson Keeps it Short as She Debuts Brand New Haircut—Take a Look!