'All My Children' Star James Mitchell Dies
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Jan 25th 2010 07:21AM
Mitchell's career spanned more than just 'All My Children.' He was an accomplished dancer and stage actor, with leading roles in hit Broadway shows like 'Paint Your Wagon' and Carousel.'
Mitchell was last seen on 'AMC' for the show's 40th anniversary episode on January 5. He first joined the cast all the way back in 1979. Mitchell was nominated for seven Daytime Emmy Awards for the role, but never took home a trophy.
Mitchell enjoyed playing the icy, wealthy Palmer, who wielded power over his children and the show's fictional town of Pine Valley.
"He loved playing mean," Wolsky said. "A soap gives an actor a chance to develop something because it goes on for so long."
Born in Sacramento in 1920 and trained as a dancer, Mitchell had leading roles in the Broadway musicals "Brigadoon" and "Paint Your Wagon," and danced on stage with the American Ballet Theater.
His film credits include 1953's "The Band Wagon" with Fred Astaire, 1954's "Deep in My Heart" and 1955's "Oklahoma!"
Mitchell also taught movement for actors at Yale University and Drake University, where he was awarded an honorary doctorate.
Funeral plans were pending.
Recent Losses in TV Land
Jan. 22: Actor James Mitchell, who played Palmer Cortlandt for more than 30 years on 'All My Children,' has died at the age of 89. He's seen here in a still from the show 'Where the Heart Is.'
Recent Losses in TV
2009 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Jeremy Roloff Marries Audrey Mirabella Botti: Little People, Big World Wedding Photo
- Polly Bergen Dead: Actress and Singer Dies at 84
- George Clooney Will Wear Giorgio Armani Tux to Wed Amal Alamuddin
- New Shocker: Bruce Jenner Appears To Wear Spanx For Golf Outing SEE The Jaw-Dropping Photos
- Kim's Worst Nightmare: Racy Naked Selfies Of Kardashian Leak Online
- Polly Bergen, versatile actress, singer dies at 84
- Report: Avril Lavigne and Nickelback's Chad Kroeger are splitting up
- Lady Gaga says she's 'very happy' and sober
- 6 Things We Were Obsessed With While Watching Beyoncé and Jay Z's On the Run HBO Special
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana Pole Dances at the Airport With Husband Marco Perego—See the Hilarious Video!
- Little People, Big World Star Jeremy Roloff Marries Audrey Botti—Get the Details on Their Farm Wedding!