Booking War Brewing Between Letterman and Leno
By Rob Shuter Posted Jan 25th 2010 08:00PM
Dave and Jay: Now It's War
If you think the attacks from David Letterman and Jay Leno about chins and personal scandals were bad, you haven't seen anything yet, a source close to both late-night hosts tells me. As Jay is preparing to return to 'The Tonight Show' job he held for many years, Letterman is determined to hold onto his new ratings crown by playing some late-night hardball.
"Jay's image has taken a huge bashing during the whole Conan disaster. It was Leno who came off as the bad guy and this is something Dave and his team are going to exploit, especially when it comes to booking celebrity guests," a network source told me. Letterman's 'Late Show' staff is turning up the heat, already making it very clear to celebrities that Dave will not follow Jay with guest booking.
So, if you want to sit on Leno's couch, don't expect to be sitting next to Dave anytime soon.
Oh boys, can't we all just get along and play nice? There is always room for an extra bottom on my Pottery Barn sofa.
Does Mariah Travel With Her Own Champagne?
Remember Mariah Carey's nutty acceptance speech a few weeks ago? You know, the one she blamed on a few too many glasses of champagne ... How could you forget? Well, sources tell me no one was more surprised by the bubbly confession than the other guests at the Palm Springs Film Festival, who were offered only wine and cocktails!
"We had no idea you could order bubbly," a guest told me. "Mariah must have been the only one in the entire place that got any. They must have gotten it just for her."
Which is entirely possible when you are as fabulous as Miss Mariah -- or maybe the divine singer travels with a stash of her own Angel brand of champagne? Sneaky ... and smart! Cheers to you, Mariah.
Susan Sarandon Plays Ping-Pong With Rumored New Boyfriend
Susan Sarandon, who recently announced her split from long-time partner Tim Robbins (goodness, I love 'Shawshank Redemption'), spent an evening looking very cozy with new rumored boyfriend Jonathan Bricklin last week.
I saw them at ping-pong club SPiN (don't ask ... Sarandon co-owns the club with Bricklin) in NYC at an event that raised nearly $20,000 for Haiti. Watching larger-than-life movie executive Harvey Weinstein trying with everything he's got to hit that little ball is still making me giggle, but all for a great cause.
The event was hosted by Modelinia, your guide to supermodel beauty and style. Because who doesn't want to look fabulous?
Remembering a Friend
One of the most wonderful ladies I ever knew passed yesterday morning, her name is Mera Lome. She might think that I didn't know how she lit up the newsroom at 'Extra TV' doing her best Rob Shuter impersonation ... but I did, and was honored. I love you very much and will miss you every day "my little frosty."
Got a tip for Rob? Email him at NaughtyNiceRob@aol.com
Follow Rob on FaceBook: www.hs.facebook.com/rshuter
Who's Rob Shuter? Read His Bio
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ariana Grande Heartbroken Over Grandpa's Death, Sobs as Brother Frankie Grande Gets the News in Big Brother House
- Naya Rivera Secretly Married Ryan Dorsey on Her Original Wedding Date to Big Sean; Kim Kardashian Shares Sexy Bikini Picture: Top 5 Wednesday Stories
- Ian Somerhalder Tweets Girlfriend Nikki Reed While Ex Nina Dobrev Posts Cryptic Quotes on Instagram
- Duran Duran files lawsuit accusing fan club of breach of contract
- Diane Keaton and Michael Douglas bond while filming 'And So It Goes'
- CBS says new 'Late Show' host Stephen Colbert to keep show in NYC
- Lucy Hale Stops by So You Think You Can Dance, 2 More House Guests Hit the Block on Big Brother & More OMG TV Moments
- Is Justin Bieber Dropping a New Album?! Singer Teases 11 New Songs on Instagram—Listen Now!
- Ariana Grande's Brother, Frankie Grande, Finds Out About Grandpa's Passing in Big Brother House