Travolta Brings Food, Aid and Scientology to Haiti
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 26th 2010 06:42AM
"I want to thank Qantas Airlines and (its chief executive) Alan Joyce. Alan is allowing me to fly the Boeing 707 that's sitting in the backyard, fill it with supplies, fill it with doctors, fill it with volunteer ministers, and take it down to Haiti on Monday - so thank you, thank you, thank you," Travolta said about his trip.
This is Travolta's second relief effort to Haiti, having flown in supplies last week as well. On January 18, Travolta told the press: "I have arranged for a plane to take down some volunteer ministers and some supplies and some medics. I hope that inspires others as well. It's needed."
While the Travolta's relief efforts are surely appreciated, it's the presence of the Scientology ministers that has irked some, as the Church of Scientology has been accused of capitalizing on tragedies in the past.
Gawker.com, who have a long history of criticizing Scientology and its celebrity followers, summarizes that "anywhere people are suffering, Scientology's yellow-shirted 'volunteer ministers' can be found lurking near news cameras and claiming to help people with their bull---- technology. They performed 'purification rundowns' on recovery workers sifting through the ruins of the World Trade Center after 9/11, administered 'touch assists' to victims of the tsunami, distributed literature after the Virginia Tech shooting, and are on the ground in Haiti right now warning the starving, dehydrated populace about the dangers of psychiatry."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Why hasn't Jane Fonda's $800G charity made any gifts since 2006?
- Celebrity-inspired holiday gifts
- YouTube gold: 13 biggest viral videos of 2013
- 'House of Cards' Season 2 Trailer: The Threats and Power Grabs Mount (Video)
- Jerry Bruckheimer Honored With American Cinematheque Award
- Hollywood's Power Women Reveal Their Top Rides
- Late Night Highlight: David Letterman makes Julia Roberts cry (in a good way) ? VIDEO
- Biggest fails of the year? Kimye, Miley, and a not-so-surprising number one ? EXCLUSIVE
- ?The Little Drummer Boy': You choose the best version, in our Twelve Days of Christmas Classics ? POLL
- Benedict Cumberbatch: 19 Things You (Probably) Don't Know About the Man Behind Smaug
- Don Cheadle Suiting Up for 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'?
- Evangeline Lilly on 'The Hobbit': I Didn't Want to Be the Jar Jar Binks of the Trilogy