Kiefer Sutherland Makes a Bad Beef Investment
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 27th 2010 07:00AM
He may play a bone-snapping, don't-take-no-for-an-answer agent on '24,' but when it comes to real life, Kiefer Sutherland is just a dude who lost almost $900K on cows. Wait, whaaaa? Yes, Sutherland sank $896,000 into some fine bovine, part of an investment scheme that turned out to be (insert token "bull" or "udder-ly" joke here) ... uh, bogus.
According to court documents, Sutherland was one of several people who were bilked by Michael Wayne Carr. The competitive steer-roping promoter and cattle manager convinced people that if they invested in Mexican cattle, the cows would then be sold to the U.S. for a whopping profit. Well, guess what? There were never any cows.
Stephen Maier, the Deputy District Attorney in San Joaquin County -- where the case is being prosecuted -- tells PEOPLE that "Mr. Sutherland has been very friendly and helpful with our investigation ... I'm sure he's happy someone's getting to the bottom of this."
Carr faces the possibility of up to 12 felony charges, including five counts of grand theft with "great taking enhancements," three forgery counts and embezzlement. He faces up to 18 years in prison if he's found guilty of all 12 possible charges.
According to TMZ, Kiefer is quite the cow man. They claim Sutherland "bought a ranch in Montana and pursued rodeo competitions -- he even won some roping contests."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Harry Styles Takes Kendall Jenner to Gay Bar, Gwyneth Paltrow Attends Jennifer Aniston's Holiday Party: Top 5 Stories
- Adam Shankman Checks Into Rehab, "Seeking Treatment"
- Paris Hilton Reunites With Simple Life Costar, Former BFF Nicole Richie in Miami: Picture
- Kenya Moore Reveals Heartbreaking Relationship With Her Mother: She Doesn’t Love Me & Pretends I’m Invisible
- 'The Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Break Time: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' inspires racy lingerie line
- Candace Cameron Bure: 'I'm not going to get naked, and I'm not going to have sex scenes'