Kiefer Sutherland Makes a Bad Beef Investment
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 27th 2010 07:00AM
He may play a bone-snapping, don't-take-no-for-an-answer agent on '24,' but when it comes to real life, Kiefer Sutherland is just a dude who lost almost $900K on cows. Wait, whaaaa? Yes, Sutherland sank $896,000 into some fine bovine, part of an investment scheme that turned out to be (insert token "bull" or "udder-ly" joke here) ... uh, bogus.
According to court documents, Sutherland was one of several people who were bilked by Michael Wayne Carr. The competitive steer-roping promoter and cattle manager convinced people that if they invested in Mexican cattle, the cows would then be sold to the U.S. for a whopping profit. Well, guess what? There were never any cows.
Stephen Maier, the Deputy District Attorney in San Joaquin County -- where the case is being prosecuted -- tells PEOPLE that "Mr. Sutherland has been very friendly and helpful with our investigation ... I'm sure he's happy someone's getting to the bottom of this."
Carr faces the possibility of up to 12 felony charges, including five counts of grand theft with "great taking enhancements," three forgery counts and embezzlement. He faces up to 18 years in prison if he's found guilty of all 12 possible charges.
According to TMZ, Kiefer is quite the cow man. They claim Sutherland "bought a ranch in Montana and pursued rodeo competitions -- he even won some roping contests."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Her Growing Baby Bump and Legs in Another Tight LBD -- See Her Chic Maternity Wear!
- Rachel Bilson Is Taking Full Maternity Leave, Jaime King Dishes on Hart of Dixie Costar's Baby Shower
- Minnie Driver: Parents Who Put Kids in Showbiz Are "Desperate and Conflicted"
- Animal Abuse? After Eviction, Jon Gosselin Abandons Tiny Kitten In Rental Home!
- Judge Denies Teresa Giudice's Halfway House Plea, Bureau Of Prisons To Determine Final Placement
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Chrissy Teigen criticized for tweets on Ottawa shooting
- In defense of Renee Zellweger's face