Kiefer Sutherland Makes a Bad Beef Investment
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 27th 2010 07:00AM
He may play a bone-snapping, don't-take-no-for-an-answer agent on '24,' but when it comes to real life, Kiefer Sutherland is just a dude who lost almost $900K on cows. Wait, whaaaa? Yes, Sutherland sank $896,000 into some fine bovine, part of an investment scheme that turned out to be (insert token "bull" or "udder-ly" joke here) ... uh, bogus.
According to court documents, Sutherland was one of several people who were bilked by Michael Wayne Carr. The competitive steer-roping promoter and cattle manager convinced people that if they invested in Mexican cattle, the cows would then be sold to the U.S. for a whopping profit. Well, guess what? There were never any cows.
Stephen Maier, the Deputy District Attorney in San Joaquin County -- where the case is being prosecuted -- tells PEOPLE that "Mr. Sutherland has been very friendly and helpful with our investigation ... I'm sure he's happy someone's getting to the bottom of this."
Carr faces the possibility of up to 12 felony charges, including five counts of grand theft with "great taking enhancements," three forgery counts and embezzlement. He faces up to 18 years in prison if he's found guilty of all 12 possible charges.
According to TMZ, Kiefer is quite the cow man. They claim Sutherland "bought a ranch in Montana and pursued rodeo competitions -- he even won some roping contests."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- James Van Der Beek: Dawson's Creek Feels Like a Lifetime Ago!
- Heidi Montag Sends Former BFF Lauren Conrad Congratulatory Message Post Wedding to William Tell
- Dancing With the Stars Makeup Artist Spills Backstage Beauty Secrets, Reveals Just How Much Tanner Is Used
- Crumbling Empire: Teresa Giudice Lists Beloved Jersey Shore House & Family Boat After Mansion Put On Market ? Ahead Of October Sentencing Date
- The Voice Of Evil: Chilling Confession Tape Of Etan Patz's Alleged Killer Plays For Judge In Court Hearing ? ?Something Took Over Me, & I Was Just Choking Him’
- No Apology Necessary? Kanye West Goes On EPIC Rant After Wheelchair Incident Backfires ? Insists, ?This Is Artistry'
- Cheryl Burke: This is 'probably' my last season on 'Dancing With the Stars'
- 'Jersey Boys' lyricist Bob Crewe dead at 83
- Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane sentenced in assault for hitting fan with vodka bottle at nightclub
- See Jessica Simpson's Daughter Maxwell as an Adorable Flower Girl at Ashlee Simpson's Wedding!
- Ashley Tisdale Posts Sweet Wedding Pics to Instagram to Celebrate One-Week Anniversary
- Brendan Fitzpatrick Pays Jonny Drubel $200 to Jump in a Freezing Lake—Watch the #RichKids of Beverly Hills Deleted Scene!