Kiefer Sutherland Makes a Bad Beef Investment
By PopEater Staff Posted Jan 27th 2010 07:00AM
He may play a bone-snapping, don't-take-no-for-an-answer agent on '24,' but when it comes to real life, Kiefer Sutherland is just a dude who lost almost $900K on cows. Wait, whaaaa? Yes, Sutherland sank $896,000 into some fine bovine, part of an investment scheme that turned out to be (insert token "bull" or "udder-ly" joke here) ... uh, bogus.
According to court documents, Sutherland was one of several people who were bilked by Michael Wayne Carr. The competitive steer-roping promoter and cattle manager convinced people that if they invested in Mexican cattle, the cows would then be sold to the U.S. for a whopping profit. Well, guess what? There were never any cows.
Stephen Maier, the Deputy District Attorney in San Joaquin County -- where the case is being prosecuted -- tells PEOPLE that "Mr. Sutherland has been very friendly and helpful with our investigation ... I'm sure he's happy someone's getting to the bottom of this."
Carr faces the possibility of up to 12 felony charges, including five counts of grand theft with "great taking enhancements," three forgery counts and embezzlement. He faces up to 18 years in prison if he's found guilty of all 12 possible charges.
According to TMZ, Kiefer is quite the cow man. They claim Sutherland "bought a ranch in Montana and pursued rodeo competitions -- he even won some roping contests."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Tila Tequila Is Pregnant, Kim Kardashian Wears Pink Jumpsuit: Top Weekend Stories
- Angelina Jolie Talks Maleficent in New Featurette: "We've Respected the Classic"
- Ashton Kutcher, Pregnant Mila Kunis Visit New Orleans Brewery: Picture
- Acting For The Court? Oscar Pistorius Accused Of Taking Drama Lessons Before His Trial
- Jenelle Evans Picks Her Baby Daddy Up From Jail After He Gets Early Release
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for third week
- Tori admits hasn't had sex with Dean since scandal broke
- Man given suspended jail sentence for stealing Peter Frampton's luggage
- Neil Patrick Harris Curses at Fan During Hedwig and the Angry Inch Broadway Performance
- Easter Celebrations: Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez and More!
- Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher Arrive in Los Angeles After Trip to Louisiana—See the Actress' Baby Bump!