Paul Shirley Fired Over Haiti Comments
By Sam Brand Posted Jan 27th 2010 01:46PM
Paul Shirley was a much better blogger than he ever was a basketball player. His ESPN column on music, sports and culture was read by thousands. But that gig is kaput after the journeyman forward dropped some controversial words on Haiti relief. In a nutshell, he doesn't believe in helping the earthquake victims. ESPN no longer believes in helping him. In other news, today is Apple's iPad day, and Barack Obama is set to give his first official State of the Union Address. This is What You're Searching for Today...
Paul Shirley Haiti – The 6'10" blogger published a scathing denunciation of Haitian earthquake relief efforts on FlipCollective.com. His stance did not gel with employer ESPN. "I haven't donated a cent to the Haitian relief effort," Shirley wrote on Tuesday. "And I probably will not." Shirley went on, "Shouldn't much of the responsibility for the disaster lie with the victims of the disaster?" Sounds a lot like the views of an old televangelist we know. "How could humans do this to themselves," Shirley continues. Sports blog The Big Lead points out "Shirley's words were inexplicably ignorant." Haitians "weren't given a choice." On Wednesday, ESPN released a brief statement announcing Shirley's views "do not at all reflect our company's views on the Haiti relief efforts. He will no longer contribute to ESPN."
Apple Announcement – In the biggest public speaking engagement of the day. Steve Jobs announced the release of a device trigger-happy tech fans called "Apple Tablet," but Jobs announced as the iPad. Analysts say the over-sized iPhone could be a game changer, giving users a whole new platform on which to read, write, game, and surf the web. Wired reports the device can connect to other tablets via Wi-Fi, it features two cameras, and will cost somewhere between $600 to $800.
State of the Union Address – In the second biggest public speaking engagement of the day, Barack Obama will give his first official State of the Union address in the House chamber at 9 p.m. EST tonight. You can find the speech on each major network, and if you want you can play the State of the Union Drinking Game (there are a few, here's the Huffington Post's).
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Cancelled After Sex Offender Reports; Tori Spelling Reflects From Hospital Bed: Top 5 Stories
- Casper Smart: It's "Hard" Being Looked at as Only Jennifer Lopez's Ex-Boyfriend
- Ed Sheeran "Feels Bad," Says He'll Apologize to Miley Cyrus After Calling Her a Stripper
- ?I'm Hurt' ? Anna Shannon Confirms She Was Victim Of Mama June's Child Molester Boyfriend, Says Relationship With Mother ?Over'
- Remains Found In Virginia Confirmed To Be Those Of Hannah Graham
- Toxic Love? Marysville School Shooter & Girlfriend Had Relationship Turmoil Before Killings ? Read The Bitter Tweets
- Gene Simmons to women: Stop depending on men
- Jim Parsons to star in NBC's ?Elf' animated holiday special
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Kim Kardashian Celebrates Birthday Las Vegas-Style With Kanye West, Family and Friends
- Who Wore it Best? Supernatural's Castiel vs. Constantine's John Constantine
- Neil Patrick Harris Spills His Oscar Prep and Gets Fascinated by Jason Kennedy's Magic Trick—Watch Now!