Pete Doherty Fined for Bringing Heroin into Court, Connected in 2 Deaths
By Sam Brand Posted Jan 27th 2010 11:16PM
Pete Doherty has nearly as many drug and driving offenses to his name (28) as he has years spent on this planet (30). On Tuesday, the Babyshambles frontman was slapped on the wrist for his latest offense – bringing 13 doses of heroin into a drunk-driving hearing. An England court handed him only a $1,400 fine. But it's about to get worse for the embattled tabloid prince. Maybe a whole lot worse after friend Robin Whitehead was found dead of an overdose just a day after visiting the rocker.
Doherty was in court for sentencing on Dec. 21 for June charges of driving carelessly, while drunk and in possession of drugs when "13 wraps of heroin" fell from his pocket. "He was in a rush to get to court. He was handed a coat and he didn't check the pockets," his lawyer explained to the judge on Tuesday.
The popular musician plead guilty to the December charges. He was ordered to pay $3,300 in fines and banned from driving for 18 months. The drugs fell out of his pockets upon his exiting the courthouse.
"Either this was sheer stupidity or a ploy to get more publicity," Judge Joti Boparai told Reuters on Wednesday.
His lawyer explained to the court that Doherty "is a recovering heroin addict and has received some very sophisticated medical treatment."
Because he is currently in treatment, and reportedly using medical implants that cancel the effects of heroin, Judge Boparai decided against using the "public purse" to rehabilitate the singer.
But the legal drama isn't over for Kate Moss' former flame. It may just get more intense than ever before.
Earlier this month it was reported Doherty would be questioned after new evidence emerged in an unsolved 2006 party death. The evidence corroborates the allegation that the rocker was involved in a fight with the victim prior to his death from a multi-story fall.
In unrelated troubles to come, friend and filmmaker Robin Whitehead, a member of the wealthy British Goldsmith family, was found dead of a drug overdose on Sunday. According to the Daily Mail, Whitehead, 27, was ten days into filming a documentary about Doherty, and had been with him at the place of her death just a day before she was found.
When confronted with the news of Whitehead's death while leaving the courthouse on Wednesday, Doherty told a reporter, "I don't know what you're talking about."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Lauren Conrad, William Tell Look Perfect In First Wedding Photo; Avril Lavigne, Chad Kroeger Headed For a Split
- Joe Manganiello Is Ridiculously Buff -- See His Impressive Gym Picture!
- Gerard Depardieu Says He Drinks Up To 14 Bottles of Wine a Day!
- Inside Jenelle Evans’ Major Delivery Room Drama
- Kim Zolciak Shows Off The Results Of Her Boob Job And Tummy Tuck
- Oscar-Worthy Actresses! Rosie O'Donnell And Whoopi Goldberg Given ?Lecture’ To Act Like ?Best Friends' On ?The View' PLUS Another Whoopi Slip Of The Tongue ?Pisses Off' ABC Execs
- Alanis Morissette said fame caused her to have PTSD
- Liza Minnelli recovering after surgery
- 'Fight Church:' Does modern Christianity feminize guys?
- America's Got Talent Finally Crowned a [Spoiler] – Find Out Who Won Season 9!
- Meghan Trainor Performs Acoustic Cover of Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" and It's Pretty Awesome—Watch Now!
- These New Star Wars: Episode VII Photos Could Reveal Adam Driver's Actual Role—Take a Look!