Pete Doherty Fined for Bringing Heroin into Court, Connected in 2 Deaths
By Sam Brand Posted Jan 27th 2010 11:16PM
Pete Doherty has nearly as many drug and driving offenses to his name (28) as he has years spent on this planet (30). On Tuesday, the Babyshambles frontman was slapped on the wrist for his latest offense – bringing 13 doses of heroin into a drunk-driving hearing. An England court handed him only a $1,400 fine. But it's about to get worse for the embattled tabloid prince. Maybe a whole lot worse after friend Robin Whitehead was found dead of an overdose just a day after visiting the rocker.
Doherty was in court for sentencing on Dec. 21 for June charges of driving carelessly, while drunk and in possession of drugs when "13 wraps of heroin" fell from his pocket. "He was in a rush to get to court. He was handed a coat and he didn't check the pockets," his lawyer explained to the judge on Tuesday.
The popular musician plead guilty to the December charges. He was ordered to pay $3,300 in fines and banned from driving for 18 months. The drugs fell out of his pockets upon his exiting the courthouse.
"Either this was sheer stupidity or a ploy to get more publicity," Judge Joti Boparai told Reuters on Wednesday.
His lawyer explained to the court that Doherty "is a recovering heroin addict and has received some very sophisticated medical treatment."
Because he is currently in treatment, and reportedly using medical implants that cancel the effects of heroin, Judge Boparai decided against using the "public purse" to rehabilitate the singer.
But the legal drama isn't over for Kate Moss' former flame. It may just get more intense than ever before.
Earlier this month it was reported Doherty would be questioned after new evidence emerged in an unsolved 2006 party death. The evidence corroborates the allegation that the rocker was involved in a fight with the victim prior to his death from a multi-story fall.
In unrelated troubles to come, friend and filmmaker Robin Whitehead, a member of the wealthy British Goldsmith family, was found dead of a drug overdose on Sunday. According to the Daily Mail, Whitehead, 27, was ten days into filming a documentary about Doherty, and had been with him at the place of her death just a day before she was found.
When confronted with the news of Whitehead's death while leaving the courthouse on Wednesday, Doherty told a reporter, "I don't know what you're talking about."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Cynthia Nixon Learns Her Ancestor Was an Axe Murderer on TLC's Who Do You Think You Are?
- Gary Oldman's Death Supercut Has the Actor Cracking Up on Conan: Watch
- Amber Portwood Snaps Sweet Photo of Daughter Leah, 5, Mid-Dance
- She's Going To Disneyland! Kris Jenner Has Fairy Tale Day With Male Friend
- Bethenny Frankel Ex Jason Hoppy Nonchalantly Walks In New York With Pink Fingernail Polish
- Bravo Edits Footage Of ‘RHONJ’ Star Amber Marchese’s Husband Threatening Teresa Giudice’s Brother
- Queen Elizabeth II photobombs young tourists' selfie
- Alec Baldwin appears in NYC court after Shia LaBeouf leaves
- Long lines start early as Comic-Con floor opens and dedicated fans queue up for coveted toys