Betty White Is Still 'Golden' and Far From Retiring
By Kara Warner Posted Jan 28th 2010 05:00PM
Beginning with a stint on Al Jarvis' variety show 'Hollywood on Television' in 1949, White's dizzying resume spans six decades. Sixty years, people! She is known to most of us, depending on birth date and/or generation, as Happy Homemaker Sue Ann Nivens from 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show,' and the naive and sweet-natured Rose Nylund from 'The Golden Girls.' But before her sitcom stardom, White appeared on numerous talk shows and daytime game shows, earning the title 'First Lady of Game Shows,' along with the first Emmy awarded to a woman for Outstanding Game Show Host in 1983.
"I'm the luckiest old broad on two feet," White has said of her career.
And despite her track record for playing sickeningly sweet, innocent types, the seasoned 88-year-old has a wry sense of humor that often catches people off-guard. Her SAG Lifetime Achievement Award acceptance speech being a prime example.
"I look out and see so many famous faces... I actually know many of you and I've worked with quite a few," she said. "Maybe had a couple. And you know who you are."
White recently told USA Today that she credits her dad with bringing out her naughty side/sense of humor.
"I think from sitting around the Sunday morning breakfast table with Mom and Dad. Dad was a traveling salesman, and he would bring his jokes home. He would say, 'Honey, you can take that joke to school, but I wouldn't take that one.' That's where the double-entendres came from. What you don't say is funnier than what you do. Now they let it all hang out. It's all single-entendre."
Speaking of entendres, White's favorite is a little quip about Robert Redford.
"My answer to the question 'What haven't you done in your career' is always Robert Redford," she told the paper. "I've never met him and I would be embarrassed if I did."
We imagine Redford would be more than happy to welcome an introduction. Who wouldn't be? Here's hoping we see a lot more of Betty White in the future, whether on the small screen or silver one. It's pretty clear that if White has her say, and she should, she's not going anywhere.
"I was only 88 [two weeks ago], so I have lots more stuff to do," she said. "Retirement isn't in my vocabulary."
Betty White Photos
Actress Betty White poses in the press room at the 16th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at The Shrine Auditorium on January 23, 2010 in Los Angeles, California. 16th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards - Press Room The Shrine Auditorium Los Angeles, CA United States January 23, 2010 Photo by Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage.com To license this image (17135508), contact WireImage.com
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- The Blacklist Recap: Red Reddington Gets Ruthless to Save His Wife
- Dancing With the Stars Season 19 Movie Night Recap: Two Perfect Scores, One Surprising Elimination
- Jason Derulo Not on "Good Terms" With Jordin Sparks Post-Split; Amanda Bynes Arrested for Second DUI: Top 5 Stories
- Family First ? George Zimmerman's Brother Robert Talks Family Rebranding And His Role Models: ?I Learn A Lot' From Kardashians
- ?The View' Feuds: Rosie O'Donnell & Whoopi Goldberg Fight In Front Of Audience – ?I'm Really Sick Of Your Sh*t!'
- It's A Presidential Baby! Chelsea Clinton Introduces Daughter Charlotte To The World – See Their Bundle Of Joy
- Wal-Mart claims Tracy Morgan, fellow passengers weren't wearing seatbelts in crash
- Amanda Bynes arrested on DUI charge
- 'Django' actress says she didn't cooperate with police because of racial profiling at 16
- Chris Martin Visits Gwyneth Paltrow on Her Birthday—Plus, Find Out Who Attended Her Private Bash!
- Dancing With The Stars: Who Went Home? Plus, Find Out Who Got the First Perfect Score of the Season!
- Donald Trump Gets Pranked, Threatens Lawsuit After He Retweets Picture of British Serial Killers