Tough Crowd for Boyle-Bashing Stephen Colbert
By Marc Schneider Posted Feb 1st 2010 10:57AM
The Comedy Central star seemed off from the start, and received an icy glare from Jay-Z after giving him a "wuddup, Z" shout-out from the stage. After warning his daughter to "stay away from Katy Perry," he launched into a meanish rant about the second-biggest selling artist of 2009: Susan Boyle. Watch Video Above
"Congratulations to all of you, but what I want to know is -- Why isn't Susan Boyle here? I mean, she accomplished something huge this year. You all may have brought the sexy back, but she sent it away again! No thanks Sexy, we're just going with good singing this year."
He continued: "Seriously, you may be cool here but this year your industry was saved by a 48 year old Scottish cat lady in sensible shoes. So, give it up for Susan Boyle! congratulations, Susan!"
The San Francisco Chronicle said, "either Stephen Colbert was before the wrong audience or he had the wrong material" and that listening to his jokes "hurt as much as having the needle of a flu shot driven into your arm."
Commenters on IrishCentral.com were equally peeved by Colbert's ribbing of Boyle. "Who's Stephen Colbert anyway?" one person wrote. "Another case of professional jealousy if you ask me ... He made himself look bad, not Susan!"
It was the second time in a week that Boyle had been publicly dissed. The harshest blow came with comments from her idol, Elaine Page, who called the singer a "girl with no experience of anything to do with theatrics, the music business, or art in any way."
Paige said that Boyle "was like a virus really that spread across the world in a nanosecond," saying that her rise to fame via YouTube and the Web doesn't mean she's cut out for showbiz.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Taylor Swift's new guy using her to get famous?
- 'Avengers' star Hayley Atwell stuck in airport watching herself
- It's Official! Nikki Reed & Ian Somerhalder Marry in Malibu
- Relative Concerned for Sullivan Sweeten, Sawyer's Suicide Still Being Investigated
- No, It's Not 'Fight Club 2': Brad Explains That Nasty Cut
- Kim Kardashian Opens Up About Fertility Struggles: "I Still Have Hope" for a Second Pregnancy
- Justin Bieber, Hailey Baldwin Crash Prom, Give Teens Surprise of a Lifetime!
- Michelle Obama Goes Curly, Idina Menzel Debuts Blonde Hair at the White House Correspondents' Dinner: See the Makeovers!