A Swift Backlash: Will Taylor's Album of the Year Grammy Hurt Her?
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 1st 2010 01:20PM
Taylor Swift has been the music industry's golden girl ever since Kanye West jumped on the stage at the VMAs and interrupted her win for best female video. (And maybe even before.)
But will her incredible run atop of everyone's lists end soon? Last night at the Grammys, Swift took home the album of the year Grammy, surprisingly beating out Lady Gaga and Beyonce. And Swift's 'Fearless' really pales in comparison to Gaga's 'The Fame' and Beyonce's 'I Am ... Sasha Fierce.'
Swift prides herself as being a country princess who writes all of her songs and plays the instruments to accompany them. (Kudos for that is surely deserved.) But when her album beats out those more deserving, and her live performances are clearly lacking, we wonder what will happen next.
Since Kanyegate, everyone's been cheering her on. But will that end now that she's won awards she may or may not deserve?
Upon accepting album of the year, Swift didn't even thank the other nominees, as is standard in most speeches, she just rambled on about how much the award meant to her -- a move that could further condemn her in the industry's eyes.
It seems as if our readers have already turned on her. More than a few Facebook commenters were not happy about her triumphs..
"This is a sympathy-win for all the drama created by Kanye. I guess if there are any other struggling artists who want to win, they know who to call!" Stephenie N. wrote.
Adding to her undeserved bulging trophy case is the fact that Swift has yet to wow us with her live performances. She seemed terribly nervous and her voice wobbly at the Grammys when she sang with Stevie Nicks on 'Rhiannon' and 'You Belong With Me.' Listen
Next to Nicks, Swift looked and sounded like a terrified kitten who wandered up on the stage. And watching Lady Gaga and Beyonce dominate vocally reinforces Swift's own shortcomings.
PopEater fans agree. "As much as I love Taylor Swift...she continues to be HORRIBLE live! No power in her voice, she misses all the high notes, ugh...its embarassing [sic] watching Taylor win ALL these awards, only to see her perform terribly! And really Stevie?! You lowered yourself to sing BACK UP for that tripe? You're so much better than that..." JosieGrosie commented.
But you can't just chalk that up to nerves on a big night, because other times she's been just as bad. Her 'SNL' performances weren't up to par. Listen
Maybe you could have blamed her iffy VMAs showing on Kanye's mic-stealing, but considering her track record, we won't let her off the hook for this one. Listen
A string of more bad live performances coupled with big award achievements may hurt Swift in the long run. You can only ride the Kanye-train for so long, Taylor.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Gene Simmons to women: Stop depending on men
- Jim Parsons to star in NBC's ?Elf' animated holiday special
- FOX411's pic of the day
- PopWatch Confessional: Which classic (or ?classic') film have you never seen?
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys ?R' Us after ?Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- The 5 most interesting facts about ?Super Smash Bros. for Wii U'
- Pics! Kelly Osbourne Gets Tattoo in Honor of Joan Rivers
- Morgan Freeman's Response to Jenny McCarthy and Donnie Wahlberg Making Out Is Priceless
- Is Tori Spelling Having a Nervous Breakdown?
- Teresa Giudice Will Have to Clean Her Cell, Complete a Work Assignment in Prison: Check Out These Prison Rules
- Kim Kardashian Shares Secret For Putting North to Sleep, Says Kanye West "Comes Up With Every Idea"
- Heidi Montag Graces First Red Carpet After Breast Reduction Surgery