Joe Simpson Teams Up With Nickelodeon
By Scott Harris Posted Feb 5th 2010 12:25PM
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Simpson, the father and manager of Jessica and Ashlee Simpson, has struck a deal with Nickelodeon to produce a sitcom based on his own experiences raising those daughters. The untitled project, which according to the article "centers on one of the daughters who begins imitating her father and giving life advice to other kids in her school," will focus on Simpson's pre-Hollywood career as a psychologist rather than his efforts to promote his clan.
Those efforts, of course, have been spectacularly effective, particularly on television, where daughter Jessica's MTV reality show 'Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica' turned their name into a household one. That series coincided with Ashlee's rise on '7th Heaven' and her own reality series, 'The Ashlee Simpson Show,' which allowed both sisters to capitalize on their new-found celebrity by releasing accompanying albums.
While it seems unlikely that Joe will follow in that same arc and release an album of his own, his track record does suggest the marriage with Nickelodeon could be a fruitful one; in addition to managing his daughters through their high-profile television careers, he's produced shows such as ABC's 'Women's Murder Club.' And he will be teaming with Nickelodeon veteran Tommy Lynch, who has helmed a number of successful shows for the network, including 'The Troop' and 'South of Nowhere.'
Indeed, the only loser in this deal may be Nickelodeon superstar SpongeBob SquarePants. After all, given the Simpson family's sketchy understanding of seafood, it's possible that SpongeBob may become the latest "Chicken-of-the-Sea" substitute. And we'd hate to see the little guy end up on papa Joe's plate. After all, we think he has enough problems with the paparazzi without adding spongicide to the mix.
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Amanda Bynes Wears Blonde Wig in First Mugshot, Mariah Carey Suffers Wardrobe Malfunction: Top 5 Stories
- Elisabeth Moss Slams Jeremy Piven as "Highly Unprofessional"
- Ken Jeong Talks Hangover's Nude Scenes and Playing With the Asian Stereotype
- LeAnn Rimes New ‘Just A Girl Like You Video’— Watch It Here!
- Jodi Arias Jury Foreman Speaks Out —‘This Girl Was Crucified In The Court Of Public Opinion’
- Amanda Bynes free after arrest for tossing bong out of apartment window, police say
- Morgan Freeman seems to fall asleep during on-air interview
- Jennifer Aniston is a stripper in new movie role, who is your favorite good girl gone bad?