?uestlove on His NBC Twitter-Gate: 'It Was a Joke'
By Mike Hess Posted Feb 5th 2010 01:36PM
Exclusive: On Thursday, ?uestlove -- who mans the drum kit for the tremendously awesome band The Roots on 'Late Night with Jimmy Fallon' -- posted a TwitPic of a sign in the NBC cafeteria. It was of a sign in support of Black History Month, which touted a menu of fried chicken, collard greens and other soul food staples. The photo quickly made its way around the Web, causing many to speculate whether the sign was more offensive than honorary. It just so happened that PopEater was at the Jimmy Fallon studios on Thursday (stay tuned for larger feature next week) just as the Twitter melee was erupting, and we got a chance to chat with ?uestlove about the incident. "It was a joke taken too far," he tells PopEater, joking: "I'll be packing a lunch for the next two years." Smart move, Questo.
?uestlove -- whose real name is Ahmir Thompson -- says that "Twitter is very tongue-in-cheek," and that a simple post that's meant to be funny can easily be misconstrued because of the lack of tone that's available.
"I posted a picture that I saw a little surprising in the lunch cafeteria, and somehow every blogger from Gawker to Huffington Post is taking a run with it," he told PopEater.
Later on his Twitter, ?uestlove wrote: "i think i need a twitter break. i done started something. and now i must put out fire."
Still, he laughed about the situation while talking to PopEater, telling us he's not worried about what will happen to him. "I'm more concerned about the kitchen staff upstairs. I'll be packing a lunch for the next two years."
See what happens when celebrities take over the role of paparazzi and share intimate photos with their fans. Best Celebrity Twitter Pics >>
Paris Hilton, TwitPic
Paris Hilton, TwitPic
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Rapper Andre Johnson cuts off penis, jumps from balcony in apparent suicide attempt, report says
- Robin Roberts: Doctor said I had two years to live
- Report: Hollywood film writers still white guy club
- ?The View': A seating chart for a drama-free co-host reunion
- ?X-Men: Days of Future Past' trailer: A deep dive into the final ?X' preview
- ?American Idol LIVE!' to kick off 41-show concert tour in June
- Wu-Tang Affiliated Rapper Cuts Off Private Part, Jumps from Balcony!
- Report: Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher Are Expecting a Girl!