Andrew McCarthy Held at Gunpoint in Ethiopia
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 8th 2010 11:02AM
According to PEOPLE, the actor, who found himself without his paperwork while visiting the historic Lalibela church in Ethiopia's Amhara Region, was confronted by an armed guard. "His gun [was] pointed at my back," McCarthy writes. "I thought his reaction to my offense was extreme; I tried to say as much. He grunted something in Amharic and prodded me with the tip of his rifle."
After being escorted from the church, McCarthy was helped to safety by residents of the town.
Despite the alarming incident, the actor maintained his sense of humor, saying it was "just the kind of thing that happens when you show up alone in a distant country without a plan."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Was politics behind Mexico City's decision to cancel heavy-metal concert?
- PBS' Miles O'Brien optimistic only 3 weeks after losing arm
- Actress Sheila MacRae from 1960s re-creation of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Lesli Klainberg Named Executive Director of Film Society of Lincoln Center
- Amy Sedaris to Co-Star in Fox's Jane Krakowski Comedy
- Scott Kalvert, 'Basketball Diaries' Director, Dies at 49
- ?Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments ? VIDEO
- ?Episodes' star Chris Diamantopoulos reveals his first celeb crush, makes you want to listen to Roxette ? VIDEO
- Captain America exhibit opens at Disneyland: On the Scene
- Renee Zellweger's Next Movie, 'The Whole Truth,' Is Her First in Four Years
- Jennifer Lawrence's Boyfriend, Nicholas Hoult, Is Very Aware of His 'Bystander' Status
- '300: Rise of an Empire': By the Numbers Review