Why Are Brad and Angelina Suing Now?
By Jo Piazza Posted Feb 8th 2010 06:08PM
What caused them to finally say enough is enough and confirm their utter devotion in a legal brief? Our experts weigh in after the jump.
The Truth About Brangelina?
The tabloid torment of Brad and Angelina has gone on for a long time. But now they are suing a British tabloid for false reports. Click Through to See What American Tabs Have Said About the Couple
1. For the good of the children.
Maddox is reaching that age where he probably has his own iPhone and a personal 3G network and Zahara and Pax aren't too far behind in their ability to explore the World Wide Web for rumors about mommy and daddy. Maybe Brad and Angie finally wanted to set the record straight for the kids' sake. "The hardest thing about being a celebrity kid when rumors like that about your parents arise is that you start to feel as if your world is unstable and thus not a safe place. As a result, some kids can develop anxieties," says psychologist Cooper Lawrence. "The best way to mitigate any psychological damage is for the celeb stand up for themselves and their family. Especially Brad and Angie who are known for being silent on such issues. This sends the message to the kids that it isn't true and they wont stand for slander that can harm their family. It makes the kids feel protected."
2. They finally just got fed up.
Jennifer Aniston might be getting a good old belly laugh out of reading the split stories from her Architectural-Digesty perfect pad, but maybe Brad and Angie just reached a breaking point in hopes that the news cycle will move on (it won't). "It seems like this News of the World story snowballed more than ever before and they are tired of the rumors and are ready to put them to rest ... till the next rumor," says public relations maven and crisis control expert Rebecca Brooks, of The Brooks Group.
3. They went after an easy target.
"It's definitely a change in strategy for Brad and Angie to go after News of the World, but the fact that it's a British paper -- and it's much easier to sue for libel in England than it is in the US -- probably made it an attractive target. An aggressive legal strategy has helped other stars like Tom Cruise neutralize negative press, but they have to be careful they don't go too far. Cindy Crawford and Richard Gere will never live down the bizarre, full-page ad they took in the London Times in May 1994, saying 'We are heterosexual and monogamous ...There are no plans, nor have there ever been any plans for divorce. We remain very married.' They divorced six months later," explains longtime celebrity columnist Ben Widdicombe.
Angelina Jolie Snapshots
MIAMI GARDENS, FL - FEBRUARY 07: Angelina Jolie, Maddox Jolie-Pitt and Brad Pitt are seen leaving Super Bowl XLIV at Sun Life Stadium on February 7, 2010 in Miami Gardens, Florida. (Photo by Alexander Tamargo/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Angelina Jolie;Maddox Jolie-Pitt;Brad Pitt
Getty Images North America
- Filed under:
- Famous Couples -
- Gut Reactions -
- Movie News -
- Celebrity Scandal -
- Hottest Stories -
- Angelina Jolie -
- Brad Pitt
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: Khloe Kardashian shows Lamar Odom what he's missing
- Mariska Hargitay works to get backlog of rape tests in Detroit processed
- FOX411's pic of the day
- CinemaCon: Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore Named Stars of the Year
- Olivia Wilde to Co-Star in HBO's Jagger-Scorsese-Winter-Mastras Rock 'n' Roll Drama
- Jessica Simpson Signs With UTA (Exclusive)
- ?Between Two Ferns' director Scott Aukerman on how they got Obama to laugh at himself
- Matthew McConaughey's ?Wolf of Wall Street' chest thump gets a remix ? VIDEO
- Jennifer Lopez says she would let both Ben Affleck and Diddy (hypothetically) drown ? VIDEO
- Women Are Still Seriously Underrepresented in Hollywood, Study Finds
- A Few Important 'Insidious 3' Details Creep Out
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Preview: What You Need to Know (VIDEO)