Is New Jersey Happy to Be Rid of 'Shore' Kids?
By Jo Piazza Posted Feb 8th 2010 02:36PM
New Jersey politician Joseph Vitale can't stand 'The Jersey Shore.' Back in December, the chairman of the New Jersey Italian American Legislative caucus blasted the MTV reality show, imploring Viacom to cancel it on the grounds that it "damages our state and cultural representations." Now that producers are scouting out a more seasonable climate (possibly South Beach in Miami) to shoot the second season of the trash-tastic series this Spring, Vitale is breathing a little easier.
"It's good news for us, but bad news for wherever they end up going," Vitale told PopEater on Monday. "If they are indeed moving to Miami, I feel badly for Miami. I don't care how they live their lives and what they do, but when they insult people and Italian-Americans, it is pretty reprehensible. In New Jersey, we are proud of the products we export, but this is not one we are proud of."
Vitale may be psyched about the switch, but will fans love 'The Jersey Shore' once it is transplanted to a location other than its namesake? Without Karma and the boardwalk, will the 'Shore' lose some of its special flavor or is it time to see the cast outside their comfort zone? Have they outgrown Seaside Heights?
"Was 'Facts of Life' as good when it moved to a candy store? Was 'Golden Palace' as good when the Golden Girls moved to a hotel? No! Then again, Mrs. G. and Bea Arthur never quit 'Jersey Shore,' so the show might not be so cursed after all," says Ronnie Karam, senior editor of TvGasm.com, on the locale switch. "As long as that nasty cast doesn't move into my neighborhood, I'm fine with it. It can be a sweet skank-out-of-water tale like 'The Simple Life.' Not keeping those roid-raging dolts contained to the shore might be a brilliant idea for TV-land, but there will be an outbreak of lip sores and women getting punched in the face. In other words, it is good for television and bad for America; much like the show itself. I can't wait."
According to TMZ, MTV producers are scouting locations in several different U.S. cities and a couple of spots abroad (please say Snooki is going to hit Cannes). One spot apparently on the top of the list to get some fist pumping action is South Beach, home of fun, sun and - thankfully for "The Situation" - very little clothing.
"That place is the perfect 'Jersey Shore' playground! The cast would feel right at home there. Gym, check. Tanning, check. Crazy loud clubs where Pauly D can deejay ... check! Also, it's a non-stop party with plenty of clubs that could easily trump Karma," says Corynne Steindler, senior editor at Hollywood Life. "Unlike Jersey, Miami has the sunny sands of South Beach year-round, so Mike 'The Situation' can go shirtless 24/7. The only thing I'm concerned about is the humidity ... I don't know how their hair gel will hold up!"
We're sure Pauly D can find some extra hold spray that will keep the blow-out fresh in the moister climates. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where Snookie and the crew end up, as long as they don't stop drinking, fighting and being uncomfortably awesome.
PopScene: Week's Hottest Pics
AnnaLynne McCord is armed to the teeth at the 4th Annual Celebrity Beach Bowl on February 6th in Miami Beach.
Kevin Mazur, WireImage
Kevin Mazur, WireImage
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs Separate After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kevin Federline, Britney Spears' Ex, Expecting Baby Number Six with Wife Victoria Prince
- Kim Kardashian Debuts Post-Baby Bikini Body, Drew Barrymore Reveals She's Having Another Baby Girl: Top 5 Wednesday Stories
- You Know You NO LONGER Love Me. XOXO: ‘Gossip Girls' Stars Leighton Meester & Blake Lively 'Don't Speak Anymore'
- Rachael Ray's cousin blames TV chef's family for tragic death of her mother
- Nigella Lawson blurts 'I am not a drug addict,' cop says
- 'Duck Dynasty' triple threat: Robertsons hunt, sing, and act in Christmas special
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Review Roundup: Critics Can't Find Middle Ground on Middle-earth
- Mena Suvari's Awkward Christmas Card With Her Boyfriend and Cat Is Absolute Perfection—Take a Look!
- American Horror Story: Coven Shocker: Gabourey Sidibe Talks Queenie's Fate, and Which Co-Star Brings a Baby Hand to Set