Jay Leno Speaks Glowingly of His 'Old Friend' Dave
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 9th 2010 10:30AM
At his desk, Leno described walking into Letterman's office at the Ed Sullivan Theater: "I see Dave and he puts his hand out and we shake hands ... and you know, whatever happened in the last 18 years disappeared. It was great to see my old friend again." Letterman talked about the encounter as well, but instead cracked wise about "the actors" that played Leno and Winfrey. Watch:
The ad, which was a reprise of a 2007 ad that Letterman did with Winfrey, was meant to poke fun at the recent tension between Jay and Dave sparked by the 'Tonight Show' battle that eventually led to Conan O'Brien leaving NBC.
In the commercial, a disgruntled Letterman declares that he's at "the worst Super Bowl party ever." Seconds later, the camera pans away to reveal Leno, who admits that Dave "is just saying that because I'm here."
According to Rob Burnett, who produces Dave's 'Late Show,' it was all Letterman's idea.
"Dave had this idea, 'What about getting Jay and Oprah together with me?' and he wrote it," Burnett explained in an interview with the Associated Press Sunday night. "We said, 'This is too funny to pass up.' First we called Oprah."
Arrangements were quickly made for Leno and Winfrey to fly to New York, and much detail was given to getting them inside the Ed Sullivan Theater unnoticed. Filming took place last Tuesday. Leno arrived while Letterman was taping his show. He was disguised in a hooded sweatshirt, dark glasses and a fake mustache. No joke. Filming took less than a half-hour, Burnett said.
Burnett told The Wrap that Conan O'Brien was initially thought about when conceiving the ad. But alas, the timing wasn't right for a Jay-Dave-Conan summit, and it never got off the ground.
Letterman and Leno have had a tumultuous relationship for decades, but it was recently rekindled thanks to Leno's reclaiming of the 'Tonight Show' on NBC. In the days leading up to O'Brien's departure, Letterman ripped Leno on several occasions, calling his behavior that pushed Conan out "vintage Jay."
Strangely enough, the commercial is an ad for Letterman's show, which Leno will soon compete directly against once again when he returns to his 11:30 slot following the Olympics.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Yolanda Foster, Bella Hadid Look Like Sisters Posing Poolside in Matching Red Swimsuits: See Their Baywatch Moment!
- Carrie Underwood's Baby Isaiah, Husband Mike Fisher Ride in Her Tour Bus: See the Sweet Photo
- Female Ghostbusters Surprise Children's Hospital Patients in Full Costume: Pics!
- Totally insane star baby names
- Kate Mara and Michael B. Jordan tackle incredibly awkward interview
- Why Mike Tyson first turned down 'Mike Tyson Mysteries' cartoon
- Mark Consuelos Responds to Justin Bieber's Crush on Wife Kelly Ripa on Watch What Happens Live—Watch Now!
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert's First Promos Are Here, Mitt Romney and All
- Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara Field Racist and Sexist Fantastic Four Press Tour Questions Like Pros—Watch!