Fashion Icon Alexander McQueen Found Dead
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 11th 2010 10:43AM
UK's Daily Mail. "We are not making a comment at this time out of respect for the McQueen family." The notable designer had a large list of celebrity clients including Lady Gaga, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jessica Alba, Beyonce and Naomi Campbell.
McQueen's contemporary line, McQ, was scheduled to be shown at New York Fashion Week on Thursday afternoon. KCD, the PR company handling the show, says the presentation is canceled.
Born Lee Alexander McQueen, the designer was the youngest of six children and left school at 16 to work as a tailor apprentice at Savile Row's Anderson & Sheppard, whose clients included Prince Charles and Mikhail Gorbachev.
"At this stage it is inappropriate to comment on this tragic news beyond saying that we are devastated and are sharing a sense of shock and grief with Lee's family," his family says in a statement (via PEOPLE.) "Lee's family has asked for privacy in order to come to terms with this terrible news and we hope the media will respect this."
His death also comes just three years after his close friend Isabella Blow killed herself. Blow discovered McQueen during her tenure as fashion director of Tatler. According to friends, McQueen was so distraught by her death that he dedicated his spring summer 2008 show at Paris Fashion Week to his late friend.
Remembering Alexander McQueen
Naomi Campbell and Alexander McQueen attend the private dinner at Caprice on September 21, 2009 in London, England. More photos of the late fashion icon >>
Dave M. Benett, Getty Images
Dave M. Benett, Getty Images
In 1994, McQueen enrolled in London's prestigious Central Saint Martins Fashion School, and upon graduating, he set up his own label based in the East End of London. Openly gay, McQueen once described himself as the 'pink sheep of the family'. He married his partner, filmmaker George Forsyth, in the summer of 2000.
The celebrated designer won numerous industry accolades, including being named International Designer of the Year by the Council of Fashion Designer Awards. In 2003, Queen Elizabeth II made him a Commander of the British Empire for his contribution to fashion.
The news of McQueen's death has sent shock-waves through the big tent at Bryant Park, where New York Fashion Week is held.
Cindi Leive, editor-in-chief of Glamour magazine, said: "Everyone in this tent is shocked. ... He was obviously incredibly talented and had a creative energy. There was a real sense of energy in everything he did."
Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour issued the following statement: "We are devastated to learn of the death of Alexander McQueen, one of the greatest talents of his generation. He brought a uniquely British sense of daring and aesthetic fearlessness to the global stage of fashion. In such a short career, Alexander McQueen's influence was astonishing - from street style, to music culture and the world's museums. His passing marks an insurmountable loss."
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Actress Sheila MacRae from 1960s re-creation of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Ted Turner hospitalized in South America
- Taylor Swift befriends a Victoria's Secret beauty
- ?Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments ? VIDEO
- ?Episodes' star Chris Diamantopoulos reveals his first celeb crush, makes you want to listen to Roxette ? VIDEO
- Captain America exhibit opens at Disneyland: On the Scene
- Back On? Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez Spotted Together in Texas
- Meet the Hot Guys of ?Divergent'
- 'Hunger Games' Star Willow Shields Talks 'Mockingjay,' Working with Jennifer Lawrence
- Robin Thicke Steps Out Smiling Without His Wedding Ring in NYC: Picture
- Harry Shum Jr. Is Engaged! Glee Star Proposed to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara in Hawaii
- Jessica Simpson Shares Slim Selfie, Jared Leto Wonders If J. Law's Oscars Falls Are "a Bit of an Act": Top 5 Stories