'We Are the World' Remake: THE Reason to Watch the Opening Ceremonies
By Sam Brand Posted Feb 12th 2010 05:00PM
Canadians Nelly Furtado, Sarah McLachlan and Bryan Adams will all reportedly step onto the stage at tonight's Vancouver Winter Olympics opening ceremonies. But if you're like us, then you're not going to watch (or DVR) the celebratory puck-drop merely to catch a handful of crooning Canucks (OK, maybe if Neil Young were performing). And it's not about Lindsey Vonn sashaying down an indoor track in a sweat suit, either. Tune in tonight to see the "We Are the World" remake. It just might be worth your time...
For one, the music video will be the the most star-studded moment of the entire Winter Olympics.
Recorded on Feb. 1 (a day after the Grammys) and set to be broadcast at an undisclosed point during NBC's 7:30-11:30 p.m. ET telecast, "We Are the World – 25 for Haiti" features at least 75 singing stars (30 more than the original).
It's your chance to see Lil Wayne, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand and Nicole Richie in the same room. That's like putting the jocks, nerds, hippies and goths at the same lunch table. This event is must-see TV.
And word is the late great Michael Jackson is making an appearance tonight – he's reportedly singing a duet with Janet Jackson. No way Canada can trump that posthumous cameo (though word is there will be a Terry Fox showing at the Opening Ceremonies).
What's more? "We Are the World – 25 for Haiti" features your favorite rappers... singing! LL Cool J, Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes and others will be aiming at high notes, and, if we know anything about rappers, they'll be going astray. (Fine, they'll be getting some help from Auto-Tune, and unfortunately, none will get a solo, but we still want to see them sing for the skies.)
And the song features Celine Dion, Canada's top dog diva who may or may not make an appearance at the Opening Ceremonies. We'll take the guarantee.
Director Paul Haggis ('Crash,' 'In the Valley of Elah) suggests a particular 15-year-old is the real reason to catch the performance. Justin Bieber was "remarkable," Haggis tells MTV News. "He opened his mouth, and my god the quality of that voice... and the presence he has, and the confidence..."
Catch the three-and-a-half minute "We Are the World" remake on TV this evening or download the seven minute "uncut" version when it becomes available on iTunes later tonight.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Hollywood studios are urged to take extra precautions filming abroad amid rising global security issues
- 'NCIS' moves down South with New Orleans spinoff
- Ben Affleck admits he counts cards
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Extra Scoop: Ellen Page Shows Some Serious Skin in New Photo Shoot!
- Lara Spencer Is Having Fun with the New Guys on ?GMA'
- Exclusive Clip! Is This The Next Winner of 'The Voice'?
- Gwen Stefani, Blake Shelton Have Lip-Sync Battle With Jimmy Fallon; Vanessa, Nick Lachey Celebrate Adorable Son's Birthday: Top 5 Stories
- Ylvis Band Introduces "Trucker's Hitch" After "What Does the Fox Say?" Success: Watch Now!
- Connie Britton, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand Were College Roommates: See the Amazing '80s Throwback Photo