Made for TV: Casting the John Edwards Affair
By Jo Piazza Posted Feb 14th 2010 01:00PM
More than a year later, a tell-all book from the scapegoated aide arrives, then comes a confession by the politician and a separation instigated by the poor wife. And now, according to some reports, there just might be a possible wedding between the politician and the mistress (weddings play so well on the big screen.)
This script wrote itself (seriously, Lifetime, let's get this thing greenlit). Now the only question is who to cast for the parts of John Edwards, his shamed wife Elizabeth, the baby mama Rielle Hunter and the aide who spilled all, Andrew Young?
Do you introduce a real-life love triangle into this flick, with Brad Pitt as John Edwards, Jennifer Aniston as the cuckolded wife and Angelina Jolie (in a blonde wig) as the mysterious temptress?
"The Brad, Jen, Angelina story is so five years ago, yet we are still talking about it, but even better, they are still talking about it. So I say let's hash this out on screen once and for all. Whoever gets the Oscar nod wins, and then we stop talking about the three of them as a threesome and America promises to do the same," says radio personality and psychologist Cooper Lawrence.
But the whole reality of the Brangelina love triangle would just take away from the juice of this delicious story. So what about Matt Damon as Edwards (he totally has the hair for it), the lovely Laura Linney as the sympathetic wife and give good old Daryl Hannah a career comeback as the insatiable Ms. Hunter.
"Matt Damon would be perfect as John Edwards -- not only does the coloring match up, but he would be believable as someone who could be as charming at Edwards was," says Corynne Steindler, senior writer for Hollywood Life. "Laura Linney is hardened, witty and feisty, plus I'd like to see her play a politician's wife. And only Daryl Hannah could completely capture Rielle Hunter's crazy face -- not to mention the hair!"
Keeping it serious with the type-casting, Aaron Eckhart could really nail the Edwards-esque smirk, and what about the lovely Andie MacDowell for Elizabeth (because doesn't the story already seem a little bit like 'Groundhog Day'?).
"I think I'd go for Andie MacDowell -- and not just because she's Southern. I see it in the cheekbones. And she's such a sympathetic actress," says Style.com writer Darrell Hartman. "I just saw 'Groundhog Day' on TV the other day and it made me wonder what she's been up to lately. She would also have to put some weight -- I think. Has anyone seen her lately?"
Hartman also thinks 'Up In The Air's' Vera Farmiga could lend an air of gravitas to the character of Rielle. "She's almost got that chin, and I think she could help us see Rielle's sex appeal. Vera Farmiga is a total chameleon. And I think there are lots of moviegoers out there, like me, who would watch her in just about anything," Hartman says.
For some reason, the Edwards' affair has got us feeling this season of HBO's 'Big Love,' what with Bill's far-fetched run for public office and all the skeletons hiding in his closet. So what about Bill Paxton as Edwards, Mary Kay Place as Elizabeth and a crazy Rosanna Arquette as Rielle?
"Arquette has that same 'Desperately Seeking Susan' look as Rielle and Mary Kay Place, besides her physical resemblance to Elizabeth, just looks like she could be John's mom," says New York-based comedy writer Caroline Waxler.
The only person we can see playing scapegoat-turned-tattle-tale Andrew Young is Bradley Whitford, and we know it's a 'West Wing' hangover. But doesn't he just seem ready-made for the line, "I've had no choice but to tell the whole truth, because we waited for two years for John Edwards to tell the truth."
Or better yet, as Waxler suggests: Whitford's real-life alter ego and inspiration for his 'West Wing' character, current White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, in a bit of delicious stunt casting.
At the end of the day, why doesn't everyone play themselves, bring in Jeff Probst and head to the Costa Rican jungle. Our money's on Elizabeth.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Kim Kardashian Dresses North in Skunk Costume; See How the Today Show Celebrated Halloween: Top 5 Stories
- Heidi Klum Dresses as a Butterfly for Annual Halloween Party -- See Her Crazy Costume Here!
- Kim Kardashian and North West Dress as Anna Wintour, Andre Leon Talley -- Plus, See Her Other Halloween Costumes!
- Tara Reid’s Skeletal Figure Scares Fans BEFORE She Puts On Halloween Costume!
- Demi Moore ‘Driving Mila Nuts,’ Wants Her To ‘Stay Away’ From Baby Wyatt ? Or Else!
- Judge Rules Amanda Bynes To Stay Under Conservatorship Until 2015, As Actress No-Show In Court
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- Happy Halloween! Check Out Kim Kardashian, Lea Michele, Justin Bieber and More Stars in Costume!
- Melanie Griffith on Who She'd Like to Date Next and Why She'll Never Watch Daughter Dakota Johnson in Fifty Shades of Grey
- Chris Brown Talks All Things Rihanna: The Assault, Their Relationship, Drake and More—Watch Now!