Oops! Brittany Murphy Foundation Returns Donations
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 15th 2010 10:15AM
TMZ first reported that the foundation was not registered as a charity with the IRS or the state of California, as required by law. The foundation has issued an apology letter on its official Web site. "In an effort to get the foundation off the ground quickly, we established it as a private foundation with plans to apply for nonprofit status down the road. However, after some thought, we have decided instead to wait until we have our nonprofit status approved before proceeding to ensure that we can truly honor Brittany's charitable desires. Any donations made up until this point will be returned until we have all our paperwork solidified," the letter reads.
The California Secretary of State's office told TMZ there were no records for The Brittany Murphy Foundation, and the IRS said the foundation has not filed for a nonprofit license. By law, any foundation soliciting money has to disclose the fact that it is not registered as a nonprofit.
On Friday afternoon, the Brittany Murphy Foundation Web site did not have any such disclosure. The site was taken "down for maintenance" one hour after TMZ called the foundation for comment.
Sharon Murphy and Simon Monjack have apologized to fans and hope to file all the necessary paperwork, so donations can be refiled. "We would like to thank the thousands of people who have reached out with kind words of love and support; you have made the hardest journey a little bit easier. We hope you will bear with us and check back regularly for updates on the foundation. We hope to have it back up and running as soon as possible," the Web site reads.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Break Time: NFL star gets tons of wedding gifts
- Helen Mirren dresses like Queen Elizabeth, grants sick child's wish to meet royality
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Is Kellie Pickler the best winner ever?
- USA Orders Family Comedy Pilot From 'Fairly Legal' Producer
- Netflix's Ted Sarandos Reveals His 'Phase 2' for Hollywood
- TV Ratings: 'Dancing' Rises in Finale, 'Voice' Dips, 'SYTYCD' Steady With Premiere
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Brandi Glanville Claims She Hooked Up With Gerard Butler
- Charlie Sheen Talks Ladies – Onscreen & Off
- Jonah Hill ‘Overwhelmed’ By ‘Moneyball’ Supporting Actor Nomination
- Francis Ford Coppola Directing New Italian-American Saga
- Ed Helms, 'The Hangover Part 3' Star, on the End of the Franchise and Leaving 'The Office'
- Moviefone Presents Street Food Cinema 2013 In Los Angeles