Oops! Brittany Murphy Foundation Returns Donations
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 15th 2010 10:15AM
TMZ first reported that the foundation was not registered as a charity with the IRS or the state of California, as required by law. The foundation has issued an apology letter on its official Web site. "In an effort to get the foundation off the ground quickly, we established it as a private foundation with plans to apply for nonprofit status down the road. However, after some thought, we have decided instead to wait until we have our nonprofit status approved before proceeding to ensure that we can truly honor Brittany's charitable desires. Any donations made up until this point will be returned until we have all our paperwork solidified," the letter reads.
The California Secretary of State's office told TMZ there were no records for The Brittany Murphy Foundation, and the IRS said the foundation has not filed for a nonprofit license. By law, any foundation soliciting money has to disclose the fact that it is not registered as a nonprofit.
On Friday afternoon, the Brittany Murphy Foundation Web site did not have any such disclosure. The site was taken "down for maintenance" one hour after TMZ called the foundation for comment.
Sharon Murphy and Simon Monjack have apologized to fans and hope to file all the necessary paperwork, so donations can be refiled. "We would like to thank the thousands of people who have reached out with kind words of love and support; you have made the hardest journey a little bit easier. We hope you will bear with us and check back regularly for updates on the foundation. We hope to have it back up and running as soon as possible," the Web site reads.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- FOX411's pic of the day
- Khloe Kardashian: What happened to her face?
- ?Booger' brings back all things 'Nerd' for a whole new generation
- Lindsay Lohan Tells Jimmy Fallon Her Legal Troubles Are 'In the Past' (Video)
- China's Huayi Brothers Plans to Invest up to $150 Million in Jeff Robinov's New Company
- Giuliana Rancic Reveals How She Picks an Oscar Gown, Why Lupita Nyong'o's Prada Grew on Her
- ?Reign' react: The royal wedding
- ?American Idol' 2014 results: The Top 12
- Miley Cyrus calls out Katy Perry on Twitter over concert kissing controversy
- The 'Sin City 2' Trailer Is Black and White and Badass (VIDEO)
- Lupita Nyong'o Oscars Lip Gloss Is Almost Completely Sold Out
- LEGO Adorably Recreates Ellen's Oscars Selfie (PHOTO)