Alexander McQueen Was Found Hanged in His Wardrobe: Coroner
By PopEater / Wire Services Posted Feb 17th 2010 07:46AM
Days before his body was discovered by his sister, McQueen had left several messages on Twitter revealing his grief at the death of his mother days earlier. He died on the eve of her funeral.
Coroner's officer Lynda Martindill said the 40-year-old McQueen had died from asphyxiation and hanging. Full details of the autopsy will be available in a few months.
There were no suspicious circumstances in the death, and authorities suspect no malice, police detective inspector Paul Armstrong testified. After a five-minute hearing Wednesday, coroner Paul Knapman adjourned the inquest until April 28. The inquest has yet to formally rule McQueen's death a suicide.
McQueen -- one of British fashion's brightest stars -- had posted messages four days before his death about his "awful week" and said he had to "somehow pull myself together and finish."
Known for his dramatic statement pieces and impeccable tailoring, McQueen dressed celebrities from Cameron Diaz to Lady Gaga and influenced a generation of designers.
At Tuesday's Brit Awards, Lady Gaga paid tribute to her friend. "Thank you to Lee McQueen," Gaga said, referring to the name friends called the designer. Later, she performed wearing a towering white wig and nearly nude lace outfit. "This is for Alexander McQueen," she said.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- North Korea connected to Sony attack as company cancels Dec. 25 release of 'The Interview'
- Rapper 'Bobby Shmurda' arrested in gang-related drug case
- 'Millionaire Hot Seat' contestant fails on first question
- Amber Portwood's Father, Shawn Portwood, Sr., Dead at 50 After Liver Surgery
- Taylor Swift Screams, Pulls Her Hair on Hollywood Reporter Cover, Says Spotify Decision Caused Other Artists to Thank Her
- Victoria Beckham Actually Loves Going Without Makeup, Easy Hair -- How Very Un-Posh!