Chris Golightly Replaced by Tim Urban on 'American Idol'
By Sam Brand Posted Feb 18th 2010 04:25PM
Eliminations don't officially kick off until next week, but on Wednesday, 'American Idol' cut its first unlucky contestant. Curly-haired 19-year-old Chris Golightly was waved into the round of 24 last night, and then abruptly disqualified just hours later. "It has been determined that Chris Golightly is ineligible to continue in the competition," a Fox press release announced, citing a recording contract mix-up. "Tim Urban has replaced Golightly as part of the Top 24."
The move was made after Lawrence Franklin of Dream Projects Entertainment told 'American Idol' producers in January that Golightly was under a boy band recording contract when he auditioned last year. Golightly refuted the claim, and Franklin amicably agreed to release the singer from the contract so he could compete. But the back-and-forth between Golightly, Franklin and 19 Entertainment dragged on and the necessary paperwork wasn't completed in time to keep the young singer on the show.
"This is not fair," Golightly told USA Today's Idol Chatter by phone Thursday morning. "I don't know what to do."
There's nothing the curly-haired former foster kid can do, according to 'American Idol' organizers. The ship to the Top 24 has set sail without him.
Golightly appeared briefly in Wednesday nights' show alongside Ryan Seacrest and the 23 contestants who will be moving on. But he was replaced by fellow Texan Tim Urban when the contestants were shown on their own at the end of the show.
"I've left them voicemails, but they've screened my calls," Golightly says of his efforts to get in touch with 19 Entertainment. "I just want the spot I earned."
He will have to hope 'American Idol' stands by him next year.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Beyonce, Jennifer Garner Fight to "Ban Bossy": "I'm Not Bossy, I'm the Boss" -- Watch the Video Here!
- Elisabeth Moss Calls Fred Armisen Marriage "Extremely Traumatic," Mad Men Star Goes Topless for New York Magazine
- The Bachelor: The Top 5 Biggest, Baddest Splits Ever
- ‘I’m Dying!’ Steve Irwin’s Last Words Revealed By Cameraman, Who Says Stingray’s Jagged Barb Penetrated His Chest ‘Like Hot Butter’
- Jennifer Aniston: I’d Like To Have Gisele’s Body
- Oscar Pistorius Murder Trial: Accused Murderer Vomits During Stirring Testimony Regarding Girlfriend’s Injuries
- Lena Dunham makes molestation joke, apologizes and adds 'women can have a lot of joke flexibility'
- Justin Bieber struggles with vocabulary, curses at court reporter during deposition
- '19 Kids and Counting' stars: We won't kiss until marriage