Chris Golightly Replaced by Tim Urban on 'American Idol'
By Sam Brand Posted Feb 18th 2010 04:25PM
Eliminations don't officially kick off until next week, but on Wednesday, 'American Idol' cut its first unlucky contestant. Curly-haired 19-year-old Chris Golightly was waved into the round of 24 last night, and then abruptly disqualified just hours later. "It has been determined that Chris Golightly is ineligible to continue in the competition," a Fox press release announced, citing a recording contract mix-up. "Tim Urban has replaced Golightly as part of the Top 24."
The move was made after Lawrence Franklin of Dream Projects Entertainment told 'American Idol' producers in January that Golightly was under a boy band recording contract when he auditioned last year. Golightly refuted the claim, and Franklin amicably agreed to release the singer from the contract so he could compete. But the back-and-forth between Golightly, Franklin and 19 Entertainment dragged on and the necessary paperwork wasn't completed in time to keep the young singer on the show.
"This is not fair," Golightly told USA Today's Idol Chatter by phone Thursday morning. "I don't know what to do."
There's nothing the curly-haired former foster kid can do, according to 'American Idol' organizers. The ship to the Top 24 has set sail without him.
Golightly appeared briefly in Wednesday nights' show alongside Ryan Seacrest and the 23 contestants who will be moving on. But he was replaced by fellow Texan Tim Urban when the contestants were shown on their own at the end of the show.
"I've left them voicemails, but they've screened my calls," Golightly says of his efforts to get in touch with 19 Entertainment. "I just want the spot I earned."
He will have to hope 'American Idol' stands by him next year.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Ashton Kutcher Goes Back to His Punk'd Roots, Pranks Unsuspecting Australians
- Violet Affleck, Jennifer Garner Support Ben Affleck at U.S. Senate Hearing: Pics
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Cousin Jerod Speaks Out After Arrest, Wants World to "Uplift Auntie Whitney's Greatest Love of All"
- MSNBC apologizes for guest's inflammatory comment on country music
- Cate Blanchett loses patience with reporter
- Hope Solo: Dealing with a lot of my issues
- Zac Efron's Model Girlfriend Sami Miró Breaks Silence on Their Relationship: ''It's Definitely Different''
- Miley Cyrus Slams ''A--hole'' Indiana Governor Mike Pence Over Bill Allowing Discrimination Against Gays
- Punk'd Again! Ashton Kutcher Pranks, Spoons & Kisses Aussies in Hidden Camera Segment—Watch Now