Whitney Houston's Train Wrecks in Australia
By Sam Brand Posted Feb 23rd 2010 02:11PM
Australian fans are in an uproar after watching Whitney Houston flub her way through a concert in Brisbane on Monday night. The 46-year-old diva reportedly took a break after just two songs, brought her brother onstage to hit her high notes and slurped from a water bottle through a closing performance of 'I Will Always Love You.'
"She couldn't entertain a dead rat," one concertgoer told the press outside the show. Yikes.
Monday's performance at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre was the first of several Australian stops on Houston's comeback 'Nothing But Love' tour. It was an ominous Down Under rebirth for an R&B queen frequently dogged by rumors of health and drug problems.
Today, concert promoter Andrew McManus took to defending the star against the many ticket purchasers calling for a refund.
"It was not a train wreck," McManus told Agence France-Presse of Houston's performance. "She was hitting most of the notes; yes, her throat was a little croaky. Her health is fine, but she's also not 22 years of age anymore."
The promoter's comments are of little consolation to those who paid up to $200 for seats. One fan tells Brisbane's Courier-Mail, "I have e-mailed the fellow down in Melbourne to get our money back but I don't think we will get it."
"We saw Liza Minnelli and she was marvelous," the fan continued. "But this one just walked all over the stage going: 'Um, I've got to go and have a drink.'"
According to concert reviews cited by the AFP, Houston appeared disoriented during the show, relied heavily upon backup singers and struggled to remember the names of her bandmates.
"This show was like watching a slow and painful death of a living legend," a Courier-Mail reader wrote in.
McManus saw it differently.
"If [fans] expected to hear Whitney of 20 years ago, go buy a CD."
Maybe the guy's got a point.
- Filed under:
- Music News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Bratty Justin Bieber heading for career ruin?
- Source: Celebrity skin guru murder-for-hire arrest 'fishy'
- Comeback kid: Lyn Christopher owes album reissue to rappers sampling her song sans permission
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Fan Arrested for Sneaking Into Miley Cyrus' Dressing Room
- Meet the New 'Bachelorette'!
- Shocking ?Bachelor' Finale! Juan Pablo Has the Ring, But Does He Propose?
- Amanda Bynes Sketches Self-Portrait, Changes Twitter Default Picture and Profile Information
- Lena Dunham Rocks a Major Cat-Eye for Glamour April Issue, Feels "Prettier" Without Makeup
- President Obama, Zach Galifianakis Go Head-to-Head on Between Two Ferns: Watch Hilarious Video