Gabourey Sidibe: This Year's Oscar It-Girl
By Megan Rumph Posted Feb 24th 2010 03:36PM
Jennifer Hudson had the spotlight in 2007 when Vogue editor-at-large Andre Leon Talley took her under his wing. French actress Marion Cotillard was the one to watch in 2008 after her breakthrough performance in 'La Vie en Rose.' And everyone was eager to see what Freida Pinto would be wearing on the red carpet in 2009.
This year, all eyes are on Gabourey Sidibe. The 26-year-old rookie earned a Best Actress nomination for her work in 'Precious,' and fashion designers are clamoring for her attention.
"We've been offered dresses by all these huge designers," her stylist Linda Medvene told USA Today.
It's no wonder designers try to get their frocks on promising Oscar nominees -- the exposure is priceless! Magazines are eager to play fashion police, and if the wearer ends up accepting a coveted golden statue, their dress could become iconic. We all remember Gwyneth's pink princess dress, Julia's vintage black and white Valentino and Halle's revealing red gown.
While Gabourey isn't the typical stick-thin Hollywood actress, this hasn't affected the dress selection process. "Working with Gabby has been so easy because she's so comfortable with who she is, in her skin," her stylist said.
We're not surprised that designers are throwing dresses her way. Gabourey is the ultimate it-girl: hilarious, humble and extremely talented. We can't wait to see she wears on her big night!
Gabourey Sidibe Snapshots
Gabourey Sidibe attends the Australian premiere of "Precious" at the Dendy Opera Quays on January 28, 2010 in Sydney, Australia. More photos >>
Getty Images AsiaPac
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Cream vocalist, bassist Jack Bruce dies at 71
- Rumer Willis is 'blown away' by her sister Tallulah's strength
- 'Breaking Bad's' Aaron Paul slams Toys R Us over recall
- Jill Soloway: How a Detour Into Indie Filmmaking Led to Amazon's 'Transparent'
- Keanu Reeves: I Wanted to Play Batman and Wolverine But Was Passed Over
- '99 Homes' Producer Offers Lindsay Lohan Career Advice
EW.COMFEEDMore From EW.com Li
- Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons on 'Whiplash,' Drumming and Stoking Passion
- Wanted: Female Director for DC Comics 'Wonder Woman' Movie
- 'Whiplash' Director Damien Chazelle on His Film's Success and the Burdens of Drumming