Parents of Missing 'Growing Pains' Actor Say He 'Was Very Depressed'
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 24th 2010 10:15AM
Koenig, best known for playing "Boner" on 'Growing Pains,' went missing in Vancouver a week ago.
His mother, Judy Levitt Koenig, hopes that the public's concern brings him home. "He is much loved and beloved in this world and I just hope he gets that feeling," she says.
Koenig, 42, was last seen on Feb. 14 and missed his flight out of the Olympic host city two days later, according to a statement from TV host Dave Holmes on MaximumFun.org. Authorities are searching for the actor, who has recently been working as a camera operator on the comedy podcast 'Never Not Funny.'
Neighbors at the 41-year-old's Venice, Calif., apartment complex tell PEOPLE he moved out several weeks ago before heading to Vancouver, B.C., to visit friends. "He cleared out his apartment," about three weeks ago, neighbor Mark Clough tells PEOPLE. "It started off as a garage sale, and eventually, he put everything out in front of the apartment, like he was giving it away."
Andrew's father Walter Koenig played Chekov in the 'Star Trek' TV series and films. The elder Koenig told PEOPLE he received a note from Andrew on February 16, but it did nothing to alleviate his concerns.
"He sounded despondent," said Walter. "Nobody has seen this [note] but my wife and I."
"He went to visit some friends in Toronto and after there, he went to Vancouver," explained his father. "It's a place where he felt very comfortable. He lived there for a few years."
Later on Wednesday, Walter Koenig said during a press conference that, if anything, he just wants to know if his son is alive. "I just want to know you're okay ... If it means you just want to stay here, that's okay. You don't have to come back. Just let us know that's your intention."
While in Vancouver, he was staying with burlesque artist Jenny Magenta, who took to Facebook on Friday to ask for help in finding Koenig. Numerous celebrity friends have used social media to aid the search, including Sarah Silverman, Alyssa Milano and Felica Day. Comedian Joel McHale wrote, "No joke, here. 'Soup' family friend Andrew Koenig missing in Vancouver."
His 'Growing Pains' co-star Kirk Cameron is offering help. "I am praying for his family during this time of distress and for his safe return," Cameron said in a statement, reports PEOPLE. "Andrew, if you're reading this, please call me."
Anyone with knowledge of Koenig's whereabouts is being asked to contact Det. Raymond Payette of the Vancouver PD at 604-717-2534.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Robert Ri'chard Compares Magic Mike and Chocolate City
- Jason Derulo: Jordin Sparks Split Is "So Behind Me"
- Sarah Stage Poses in Bikini Photo Shoot Five Weeks After Giving Birth, Looks Perfectly Fit: Photos
- '19 Kids and Counting' yanked from TLC's schedule
- 'Bachelorette' Kaitlyn Bristowe: 'Not ashamed' of having sex on the show
- Flavor Flav arrested in Las Vegas on allegations of DUI, marijuana possession, speeding
- Brantley Gilbert Talks New Music and Marrying The One Who Almost Got Away
- Chris Pratt Is Already Apologizing for Anything Offensive He Might Say During Jurassic World Press Tour: ''I Am Just Dumb''
- Pete Davidson Live-Tweets His Harry Potter Movie Marathon: The Boy Who Lived Is ''Dope as F--k''