Parents of Missing 'Growing Pains' Actor Say He 'Was Very Depressed'
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 24th 2010 10:15AM
Koenig, best known for playing "Boner" on 'Growing Pains,' went missing in Vancouver a week ago.
His mother, Judy Levitt Koenig, hopes that the public's concern brings him home. "He is much loved and beloved in this world and I just hope he gets that feeling," she says.
Koenig, 42, was last seen on Feb. 14 and missed his flight out of the Olympic host city two days later, according to a statement from TV host Dave Holmes on MaximumFun.org. Authorities are searching for the actor, who has recently been working as a camera operator on the comedy podcast 'Never Not Funny.'
Neighbors at the 41-year-old's Venice, Calif., apartment complex tell PEOPLE he moved out several weeks ago before heading to Vancouver, B.C., to visit friends. "He cleared out his apartment," about three weeks ago, neighbor Mark Clough tells PEOPLE. "It started off as a garage sale, and eventually, he put everything out in front of the apartment, like he was giving it away."
Andrew's father Walter Koenig played Chekov in the 'Star Trek' TV series and films. The elder Koenig told PEOPLE he received a note from Andrew on February 16, but it did nothing to alleviate his concerns.
"He sounded despondent," said Walter. "Nobody has seen this [note] but my wife and I."
"He went to visit some friends in Toronto and after there, he went to Vancouver," explained his father. "It's a place where he felt very comfortable. He lived there for a few years."
Later on Wednesday, Walter Koenig said during a press conference that, if anything, he just wants to know if his son is alive. "I just want to know you're okay ... If it means you just want to stay here, that's okay. You don't have to come back. Just let us know that's your intention."
While in Vancouver, he was staying with burlesque artist Jenny Magenta, who took to Facebook on Friday to ask for help in finding Koenig. Numerous celebrity friends have used social media to aid the search, including Sarah Silverman, Alyssa Milano and Felica Day. Comedian Joel McHale wrote, "No joke, here. 'Soup' family friend Andrew Koenig missing in Vancouver."
His 'Growing Pains' co-star Kirk Cameron is offering help. "I am praying for his family during this time of distress and for his safe return," Cameron said in a statement, reports PEOPLE. "Andrew, if you're reading this, please call me."
Anyone with knowledge of Koenig's whereabouts is being asked to contact Det. Raymond Payette of the Vancouver PD at 604-717-2534.
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Nicole Kidman Delivers Eulogy at Dad Antony's Funeral: He Helped Me Through Tom Cruise Split, Was "On a Plane Hours After" Divorce
- Sheryl Underwood Reveals Why She Turned Down The Queens of Comedy on The Talk
- Survivor Recap: Look Back at 28 Seasons of Blindsides and Crazy Moments
- Nicole Kidman & Husband Keith Urban Bid Farewell To Her Father Antony At His Sydney Funeral, Sing Duet Of ‘Amazing Grace’
- Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban Bid Farewell To Her Father Antony With Vivid Memories, Duet Of ?Amazing Grace,' As Russell Crowe Lends Support As Pallbearer
- Booty Battle! Jennifer Lopez & Iggy Azalea Shake Their Bottoms In New Music Video
- Out of their league: Ugly guys who date bombshells
- James Franco tells AOL to stop censoring his work
- Giuliana Rancic talks the uncertain future of 'Fashion Police'
- Téa Leoni Finally Addresses David Duchovny Divorce: "I Don't Know How I Could Ever Hate Him"
- First iPhone 6 Owner Drops It on Live TV; Perth Man Was "in a Panic to Get It Open"—Watch Now!
- Sleepy Hollow to Reveal the "Shocking Life" and Experiments of Benjamin Franklin—Watch Now!