Andrew Koenig Found Dead: 'My Son Took His Own Life,' Says Father
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 25th 2010 06:36PM
The younger Koenig was discovered during a search party consisting of friends and family.
"My son took his own life," an emotional Walter Koenig told a rapt press corp.
"The only other thing I want to say is, we've already said what a great guy he was, what a great human being," Koenig said before breaking down into tears. "He was obviously in a lot of pain."
Andrew Koenig, best known for playing "Boner" on 'Growing Pains,' had been missing since February 14. Despite many police searches in the area, he was not seen in the densely wooded marsh where he was eventually found.
Police declined to give many details of the discovery out of "respect for the family." A police spokesperson did add that foul play was not suspected.
Koenig, 41, missed his flight out of the Olympic host city last week, according to a statement from TV host Dave Holmes on MaximumFun.org.
Neighbors at the 41-year-old's Venice, Calif., apartment complex told PEOPLE he moved out several weeks ago before heading to Vancouver, B.C., to visit friends. "He cleared out his apartment," about three weeks ago, neighbor Mark Clough told PEOPLE. "It started off as a garage sale, and eventually, he put everything out in front of the apartment, like he was giving it away."
Koenig's friend Lance Miccio told RadarOnline.com that the apparent suicide mirrors the death of a character in a film Koenig helped edit. "We did that 'Living the Blues' film. And it's been like my own personal nightmare," said Miccio, who directed the film. "Knowing that we made this film and I'm watching the scenario of it play out in front of me."
"Allen Wilson, who the film was about, shared a lot of Andrew's character traits, tendencies, maybe genetic makeup," Miccio added. "So when this happened, you know the first thing I thought of was this film we did together and the situation being the same scenario ... It's devastating. I'm in shock still."
Andrew's father Walter played Chekov in the 'Star Trek' TV series and films. The elder Koenig told PEOPLE he received a note from Andrew on February 16, but it did nothing to alleviate his concerns.
"He sounded despondent," said Walter. "Nobody has seen this [note] but my wife and I."
"He went to visit some friends in Toronto and after there, he went to Vancouver," explained his father. "It's a place where he felt very comfortable. He lived there for a few years."
Later on Feb 24, Walter Koenig said during a press conference that, if anything, he just wants to know if his son is alive. "I just want to know you're okay ... If it means you just want to stay here, that's okay. You don't have to come back. Just let us know that's your intention."
While in Vancouver, Andrew was staying with burlesque artist Jenny Magenta, who took to Facebook last week to ask for help in finding Koenig. Numerous celebrity friends used social media to aid the search, including Sarah Silverman, Alyssa Milano and Felica Day. Comedian Joel McHale wrote, "No joke, here. 'Soup' family friend Andrew Koenig missing in Vancouver."
His 'Growing Pains' co-star Kirk Cameron offered help earlier this week. "I am praying for his family during this time of distress and for his safe return," Cameron said in a statement, reports PEOPLE. "Andrew, if you're reading this, please call me."
- Filed under:
- TV News
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Liam Payne Shares Naked, Pixilated, Full Frontal Snap, Sends One Direction Fans into Frenzy with Cheeky Prank
- Scheana Marie Marries Michael Shay: Details on the Vanderpump Rules Star's Wedding
- Real Housewives of New Jersey Episode 3 Recap: Amber Marchese Stirs Up Drama With Twins, Milania Guidice Turns Up the Sass
- Burn! Beyonce Skipped Kimye Wedding Because She ?Wasn't Going To Allow A Kardashian To Socially Climb Her,' Claims New Repor
- 'Lucy' tops 'Hercules' with $44M at the box office
- Casey Kasem's kids think wife has boyfriend in Montreal; may have dad's body there on ice
- Joan Rivers slams Selena Gomez for ?Pray for Gaza' post
- A Potential Cure on True Blood, A Family Sacrifice on Witches of East End & More OMG TV Moments
- Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Star Brandi Glanville Launching New Wine, Wants Your Input
- Botched Before and After: Breast Cancer Survivor, Boob Implant Headache and Much More—See the Pics!