John Mayer Resuscitates Rep With Help From Tween
By PopEater Staff Posted Feb 25th 2010 07:57AM
New Jersey sixth-grader Austin Christy attended John's Sunday night concert in Philadelphia with a sign reading "Can I play 'Belief' with you?" -- and when Mayer spotted Christy in the crowd, he invited the youngster onstage to do just that, reports CourierPostOnline.com.
Christy played for a crowd of roughly 25,000 fans and left with a guitar signed by the rocker himself, reading: "To Austin, You rock. Keep playing. See you at your show."
"I was really excited. I was thinking that it wasn't real," Christy said after the show, adding that he's a fan of Mayer because "his music is different than all the other artists. A lot of them are R&B and hip-hop. He's like a combination of pop and blues."
The duet received thunderous applause, and Mayer told the audience, "That's my man," indicating Christy.
"I said I was a big fan, and he said back to me he could tell," Christy said in the interview. "I thought it was pretty cool because a lot of other artists wanted to play with him and he picked an 11-year-old out of a lot of better artists."
Christy's mother wrote a note to John's management team, which read: "John made an 11-year-old's dream come true. John gave him the guitar after the show and we needed security to get out of the stadium."
"Everyone wanted a picture with [my son]. If you get a chance, watch some of the videos on You Tube, it is touching. As John said, 'The kid pulled through.' I just wanted to thank JM for pulling through for Austin."
Mayer, who has been uncharacteristically absent from Twitter since his Playboy debacle, posted a new message after the show: "8 out of 8 band members agree, Philly is always an awesome show. XO J."
John Mayer performs at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, February 21, 2010. (Bob Williams/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT)
- Filed under:
- John Mayer
- Jennifer Aniston
- Paris Hilton
Kate Middleton is officially a princess. She walked the aisle in an Alexander...
According to Denise, she's not sure that her estranged ex is completely sober....
Popeater Hot Topics
- Randy Bachman of The Guess Who & BTO keeps on takin' care of business
- Amanda Bynes released from psychiatric facility, slams parents in Twitter rant
- Country singer Jessie James Decker deletes Twitter account after ripping followers
- Kim Kardashian Dresses North in Skunk Costume; See How the Today Show Celebrated Halloween: Top 5 Stories
- Heidi Klum Dresses as a Butterfly for Annual Halloween Party -- See Her Crazy Costume Here!
- Kim Kardashian and North West Dress as Anna Wintour, Andre Leon Talley -- Plus, See Her Other Halloween Costumes!
- Tara Reid’s Skeletal Figure Scares Fans BEFORE She Puts On Halloween Costume!
- Demi Moore ‘Driving Mila Nuts,’ Wants Her To ‘Stay Away’ From Baby Wyatt ? Or Else!
- Judge Rules Amanda Bynes To Stay Under Conservatorship Until 2015, As Actress No-Show In Court